Thread: Oil return line popping out?

Oil return line popping out?

So last night on my commute home, I had the oil light come on... I eventually get to the shoulder and see oil all over my back tire, drive belt, oil filter, and bottom bend of my headers. Had to get towed home. I investigated this morning and found the oil return line going into the oil pump disconnected. I pushed it back in and it stayed connected. Filled oil back up and ran it idle for a few minutes and no leaks.

My questions are, how snug should that line be? Manual refers to a tool to remove the oil line, so my assumption is that it shouldn't be able to come out without a lot of effort. Would a new line be in order? Also, what could have caused that line to pop open in the first place?

I think that oil line should have a clip retaining it. You should not be able to install or remove it by hand.
    Anyway, it would be helpful to include the model and year bike you are having issues with.
    If you can post a picture of the line in question that would also help diagnose what's going on.
    I know that on my 07 XB12r some of the oil lines have a quick disconnect feature but it requires at least a good set of needle nose pliers to make it happen. Earlier XBs don't have the same fittings.
    If you can pop the line on and off by hand I'd say a clip needs to be replaced or the whole line needs to be replaced.
    Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    I think that oil line should have a clip retaining it. You should not be able to install or remove it by hand.
    Anyway, it would be helpful to include the model and year bike you are having issues with.
    If you can post a picture of the line in question that would also help diagnose what's going on.
    I know that on my 07 XB12r some of the oil lines have a quick disconnect feature but it requires at least a good set of needle nose pliers to make it happen. Earlier XBs don't have the same fittings.
    If you can pop the line on and off by hand I'd say a clip needs to be replaced or the whole line needs to be replaced.
    Hope that helps
    Thanks. It is a 2009 xb12. It has a retaining clip and the ball bearings that the flange clips into. After pushing it back in, tugging on it doesn't pull it back out. The retaining clip is still on. Will be testing it out tomorrow after cleaning it all up.

Take a pic, The retaining pin may be on the wrong side of the oil line ferrule. That would be bad. It's the only thing I can think of that would let the line come out with the fitting nut and retaining pin still installed.

Here is the picture of the oil pump/oil cooler return line. It is the top line coming out to the right. The bike had been running for seven months with no issues with that line.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/320600067202830512/

The line you took a pic of doesn't look like it is in right (straight) I would replace both the line and nut with clip. Losing oil to many times is not good for the motor.

Replace the line and the fitting. They do wear out from vibration

For those of you with the "wearing out" of the flanges on the oil line, were there any other issues that were discovered when you replaced the line? Like any clogs in the oiling system that caused it to pop out (pressure buildup, etc)?