Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Tires, what are you using?

Banned
    Read this article through http://4wheelonline.com/why-get-wide...tires.235963.0

It mentions about some advantages of fat tires including better grip on wet road.

where do you come up with this bull. good thing we have you on this site. know wonder your primary was beat up with that fat tire on there.
    Last edited by rchuff; 05-24-2018 at 04:25 PM.

You post one article from a four wheeling site with one authors opinion on things he sources no technical info about. Those “opinions” he is stating for fact.. you know what dude I will stick to tire manufacturers specific applications for my tires.. I am sure next you will say slicks are great for snow and ice..

Banned
    You will be pleased with smoothness and consistent grip fat tires provide.

Lunchtime! It's time for your meds TP

Ok kids, I'll play

This is timely because 2018 is the 30th year anniversary of radial tires on production motorcycles! Lets all have cake!
    Prepare for some foggy memories from your dorky uncle Coot
    In the hey day of drum brakes, spoke wheels and bias ply tires, a 3.5" wide tire was plenty for a performance motorcycle, including the mighty CB 750. That worked until the undauntable Freddie Spencers 1981 Honda 500 HRC won with a Michelin radial tire (in the rear). He said “The introduction of the radial tire was the most important innovation of my career". Well when Freddie talks, you better listen. And they did.
    Hello you gorgeous 1983 Honda V 1000R. That was Pirellis first production motorcycle radial tire and built specifically for that bad boy, but for Europe only (140/80-17 for the states).
    Still in the good ol US of A, even the best liter bikes like my 125hp, 159mph top speed, and 559lbs(!!) 1986 Ninja 1000R ran a 150/80-16 bias. I remember the GSXR having 140/70-18's that year. Good God that was a game changer. Someone actually thought about power to weight ratio in a production bike. Why did THAT take so long?? In 1988 they all got 160/60-17 radials, wider still!

Ok, so thats highlights of radial vs. bias, it's pertinent because the different construction of the tires allows a different profile of the carcass. So notice how the widths are growing! But verrrry slowly. Decades even. The tires profile is also massively affected by the width of the wheel, so swapping a wider tire on a wheel meant for a narrow tire is doubling the mistake.

Currently 190mm is the widest (that I'm aware of) that you'll find on a bike meant to turn corners, not just turn into the local bar. It's not because it's a compromise, any MFG could easily go wider if it was a good idea, but apparently the additional weight, rotating mass, and performance de-crease is not something they want.

I'm only posting to let someone that could be reading this, and a little unsure, that without a doubt the single only reason to put a wide domed tire on your bike is for looks. If thats your thing, go for it. Otherwise, in every single other aspect, it reduces the capabilities of your motorcycle.

Cornering? No. See MotoGP or any other motorcycle racing. Marc Marquez can drag an elbow with a 64* lean angle(!!) on a 190-65/16.5 rear tire, I'll stick with what the pros do. If drag racing is your thing you'll use a wider/flatter tire for contact patch, but not a hard one like TP's. A wide rear tire for drag racing won't last you 26 thousand miles like he says his does.
    Wet weather? No. A narrower tire has to disperse less water to resist hydroplaning. Traction is vastly increased by adding Silica to the rubber compound (started in 1990) but you can't get traction if your rubber is floating on water.
    Braking? Your rear is only good for 10% of your braking, will a couple more mm of contact patch even measurably matter?
    Longevity? More contact patch=more wear. Durometer of the rubber compound (treadwear) is what dictates traction vs. mileage. Besides, don't you want a tire to last longer only to save cost? Whats that wide tire mod cost?? ROI? not hardly...
    "Smoothness"? Aren't all tires round??

The bigger rear tire will be heavier, much more expensive to modify (a non-OEM welded wheel scares the snot out of me), much more expensive to buy, kill your warranty (if you have one), harder to ride (ever seen someone turn around in one of those silly Hyabusas?? haha), will hydroplane in the wet (but that will also ruin the neon and the stereo on your show bike too).

Enjoy your tire cake!

John I was thinking the same thing the other day on the axle thread. He is going to post something and some noob is gonna listen to him and get killed. He learned to ride a motorcycle in two days at a safety course, now he is holding lap times alongside Ian Hutchinson in the wet at the TT. LMFAO

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedchop View Post
    John I was thinking the same thing the other day on the axle thread. He is going to post something and some noob is gonna listen to him and get killed. He learned to ride a motorcycle in two days at a safety course, now he is holding lap times alongside Ian Hutchinson in the wet at the TT. LMFAO
    ya know wally.....we're on here because we love Buells....we strongly support the marque...and we help other owners/potential owners as often as possible. the gratification is in keeping the brand alive and kickin'. then there's troll-master TEABAG who runs down the brand whenever possible and bad-mouths everything Buell related. sick of it! think i'm kidding? click below for his latest advice to a guy in MI shopping for a buell. pitiful.

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...for-me-)/page2

^^^^^^ WOW!!!!!! Makes no sense to me. He should just get a moped and machine a billet rear wheel that will accept a 330mm tire and he can be the president of the MOPAGANS!

Banned
    You can't use scooter on highway.

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    You can't use scooter on highway.
    Wrong
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pop...great-mpg-too/

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast