Thread: Leaking rear rocker cover

Leaking rear rocker cover

Looks like my rear rocker cover is starting to leak. Did some research on engine rotation and rocker cover/box removal to see what is involved in this job. Does not appear too bad...just some time.

While I'm in there should I do the intake seals? I plan on replacing the PCV valves and the grommets. Anything else I should do?

What is the consensus on gaskets? James for a 2007 XL? I assume Buell and XL are interchangeable?

Thanks!

You sure it is the rocker box cover leaking or the PCV valve? Seems like I see a lot of forum posts on the rubber tube connecting to the PCV valve not being properly zip-tied, causing a leak. If that is the case, tightening the zip-tie will fix it.

Just about positive its the cover gasket. I can see the area and its wet while the top of the cover near the PCV valve is dry. I will look closely again just to be sure.

Meanwhile what is the best gasket kit? OEM? I see P/N 17036-91A as the kit for 2007 XB12 from Harley. Any suggestions from others as to what is the prefered gasket?

Thanks!