Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick advice request (belt maintenance related)

Quick advice request (belt maintenance related)

So I noticed a small "bulge" in my belt today (very small - center of belt - doesn't "break the skin" if that makes sense).

I rolled the bike until I could get a good look at the other side of the belt (teeth side). There's a very small something in the belt (assuming it's a small rock), but it's completely flush with the belt's inner surface.

First - if it's something I need to get out of there, I'll need some advice on how to do it. As it's completely flush with the surface, there's really no purchase with which to lever the rock out of there. Second - will I do more damage to the belt trying to pry the small piece out than if it just stays there?

I'm willing to do whatever you "Buell Whisperers" suggest :-)

just my opinion, but I would replace the belt. If not, the belt could start to delaminate and build excessive heat at the location making it prone to breakage.

I'm not describing this well at all....and it's really tough to get a photo. Mine is microscopic compared to the photo above. And there is no "breakage of the skin" of the belt at all...just a tiny bump that caught my eye when I was doing some fastener work on the rear belt guard.

On the "inside" there is no protrusion at all. There is zero chance of this causing any sprocket or rotor damage as the surface is completely flush. I had to rub a mall round headed Allen wrench tip across the inside spot to feel that there was even anything "there" in the sense of something different with the material. Also, this "thing" is dead center on the belt - nowhere near the sides.

I don't think I'm going to replace the belt at this point as this thing could have been there a week or 5 years - it's that small such that only a lucky happenstance caused me to notice it at all (i.e. perfect location of the spot on the back of the sprocket right near where I was working, etc.).

What I would love advice about is whether or not I should "pick at it" from the underside to try to remove whatever it is. I don't know how to go about that if it is the thing to do as well.

Cheers....

Inactive
    have seen this alot thru the years as buell style cog-belt driven bikes have been around since the 80's and the days of the kawasaki 400 ltd, etc. what john said above typically the case and what i do is this: something clearly impregnated itself into the toothed section and is now embedded into the belt. if it has punctured however slight the outer casing replace the belt. if it has NOT then rotate wheel till suspect area on bottom throw near center where you can work on it. with plenty of light and a small pick see if you can dislodge it. if you do then inspect the hole where the particle formerly resided and if no visible torn belt threads put a dob of black RTV in the hole and let it cure. if you see torn threads replace the belt. don't know your situation but this is why i personally always run the factory guards because situations like yours seem to crop up with greater frequency when guards removed.

Oh - agreed on the belt guards...not removing mine (and haven't ever in the past).

Awesome - will do that. Need to find something to use as a pick, however.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by vicenzajay View Post
    Awesome - will do that. Need to find something to use as a pick, however.
    jay: swing by a local dental office or clinic. often times they have dental tools such as surgical style picks that have outlived their usefulness/lifespan and they just junk them. tell them what it's for and see if they have any freebies.

jay: swing by a local dental office or clinic. often times they have dental tools such as surgical style picks that have outlived their usefulness/lifespan and they just junk them. tell them what it's for and see if they have any freebies.

excellent source John. Vincenzajay- The particle may be very small, what I was getting at was as the belt travels (flexes) around the circumference of the pulley (especially the small one) the flexing can cause a hotspot at the void/foreign object location which can cause the belt to deteriorate. I have been stranded by a broke belt before and am gun shy of belt damage. As John said, putting some RTV in the hole left by the object can help alleviate this and if it ever breaks the outside surface of the belt replace. Choice is up to you. Would at least buy a spare belt just to have incase.

All good advice....having a beast of a time getting the piece out.

I do have a spare belt....brand new one. Just would love to not have to use it yet given this one only has 9K on it.

Finally got it out....that was a chore.

Off to the store to get RTV sealant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast