Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All XB models Ground wire Anomaly and Solution

Inactive

All XB models Ground wire Anomaly and Solution

Having repaired yet another one of these electrical gremlins over the weekend thought i'd mention a common source of electrical anomalies and an easy fix for same. XB models have multiple grounding points for current flow including the large braided T-bone wire....the negative battery cable to frame lug...and the elusive bottom triple clamp grounding point. Here's something to keep in mind and as of saturday this is probably the 20th-something XB i've done this repair on. Symptoms: handlebar switch gear controls inconsistent....one or both headlights randomly turn off....turn signals decide not to flash or even illuminate....dash cluster lights and gauges acting up....horn failure....one or both headlights normal then dim then back to normal. The likely culprit?The 4-wire ground cluster. Location? Front of bottom triple clamp. How is it attached? One torx screw. Where is it attached? Front middle of bottom triple clamp. What does it look like? 4 black wires attached to 2 round wiring eyelets. Proven repair? On Ulysses and Lightning models remove the flyscreen(4 screws), remove the headlight bucket(3 torx screws-1 per side and 1 on bottom),look at bottom triple clamp and there's the torx screw and the 4-wire ground cluster. Those 4 wires have a tendency over time to dislodge themselves from the 2 small wire terminals causing one or more of the above problems. Fix? Pull firmly on the wires and you'll gain a bit of slack in them. snip off the 2 crappy factory terminal ends. strip approx. 1/2 inch of insulation from each wire...bundle the 4 ends together...solder together....then install in 1 top quality terminal and reattach. You'll be surprised how more consistent the bikes' lights and controls are with this simple fix.

Once again thats bloody useful info thanks for that lunatic its much appreciated! but now you have just halved the amount of troubleshooting posts so what will i do for entertainment ha ha ha

ten f*cking letter rep point system....+1...would have been +2 if you would have included pic's John.

Once again thats bloody useful info thanks for that lunatic its much appreciated!

I agree, thanks mate!

I did the same as John and even soldered the wires in the new terminal so to have no problems. What a difference it made. Nice write up John.

Thanks, John! Very good tip!

Inactive
    thanks james and ricky and steve and john and tone.
    you're correct john.....i should have taken some pics. next time.

Nice write up John, you should make a sticky note. Is the ground in the same location on a 12r?

Lunatic- aren't those grounds located near the battery ground cable on the xb12s and exactly where you reported on the xb12r? Only reason I ask is because the xb12s wire harness I recently purchased has those ground wires you mentioned located near the fuse/relay box. Do I have a harness that has been modified without me knowing?
    Those same ground wires are exactly where you mentioned on my 12r harness.
    They come off the same section of wire loom as the rear brake sensor connector.
    Here's a photo
    image.jpg
    Last edited by Chicknstripn; 11-25-2015 at 12:55 AM.

Inactive
    chickn: your pic and wiring is correct. in my experience not all XB models have the 2 ground wires in the vicinity of the fuse box as your pic shows but most do. not certain as not looking at schematic but i believe the 2 in your pic assist in grounding various component around the battery box and aft of same....like the ecm and rear lights. on the other hand virtually every XB model i've ever seen has the bottom triple tree cluster of grounds i described in my write-up.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast