Thread: 1125's - riding position: bars - clubmans vs flipped clubmans vs high bars.

1125's - riding position: bars - clubmans vs flipped clubmans vs high bars.

What are you 1125 R & CR owner's thoughts / experiences about riding position and whether you prefer to keep the Clubman bars stock standard or change the bars in some way to allow more upright riding position? From what I've seen we generally have 3 options - 1. the stock Clubman bars 2. flipped Clubman bars (change cables & wiring) or 3. high bar kit (change cables & wiring). Some guys with back grief as well as we older guys may have to consider the alternatives to stock bars. What have you tried - what were the results? From what I've seen, American Sport Bikes seem to have a good and complete high bar kit.
    Last edited by au-rora; 11-26-2015 at 05:43 PM.

This is my CR right now. Have not made any bar changes as yet, but may do.

P1200646a.jpg

I'm 6'2" to 6'3" depending on my attitude (that's 18.75 'hands' high for the limeys), so it's flipped clubmans for me. Perfect height and distance from the seat.

The regular Clubmans height was fine, but the angle of the grips was terrible on my wrists at any adjustment of the bars. Too bad too... I think the CR looks the best that way.

Stock high-bars were good height but too close to the seat for me. I sat too upright, so the wind smacked me right in my awesome, sculpted, Adonis chest

I'm about 5'11" - and some have hinted that I'm quite short for my height - I prefer to consider that I have a gravitationally enhanced chest (about 12" lower than spec).

Anyway, the fairly upright riding on my XB12SS works pretty well for me. However, the forward riding of CR with the stock clubman bars seems a bit too much of a forward lean for comfort on these aging joints.

Cooter, you seemed to have found a happy compromise with flipping the clubmans. To do that on a CR, is it necessary to fit the longer bits such as brake line, clutch line and throttle cable? And wiring?

I don't think so, even though my CR had the highbar option stock, so it already has the longer bits on it.

They aren't that much higher by flipping them, an inch or two maybe? It's the distance to the seat that helps me.

If the weight on your wrists is what is hurting ya, try the highbars. You'll be much more upright. I think I have a buddy with an extra one?

Talking about high bars... has anyone ever put ape-hangers on a Buell?
    That'd be interesting to see!

I like mine just as they came from the factory. I even put a set of CR bars on my XB12s. Currently driving my RX daily to 39 miles work, then back.
    I'm 6" and 65 years old.

Mike

try to reposition the bars, roll them upward slightly and ride it for a while and see how it feels, 2nd, you could flip them and roll them upward slightly, repeat the ride. if that still doesn't work, try the high bar. you may want to check ebay for used fat bars like Pro Taper Carmicheals' or something along those lines. the Tag Metals bar are very similar to the Pro Tapers, which I bought one for less than 30 bucks on ebay. that may be a cheaper option 'til you finalize which one works best for you. good luck and keep us in the loop.

Thanks guys. thrstrmech - will try your suggestions when I get some time around xmas. Yep, will update as I try them.