Thread: 1125 running temp

1125 running temp

I have a completely stock 2009 1125r with 2000 miles and am curious about the displayed temp. What temperatures is your dash reading during rides and what is the air temp outside? In Las Vegas the temps are in the 40s and 50s right now and my displayed temp never gets above mid 60s. Even during hard rides through the mountains. Coming from a Firebolt I'm just trying to figure out what's normal. Any helpful input is appreciated.

Do you mean IAT (Intake/Inlet Air Temp)? I find mine consistently 20-30* higher than ambient (which I believe) as the sensor is right in the front of the snorkel.

Ha never mind, it's just me being a little slow. Thanks anyways for the response Cooter.

I see large variances in the intake temp during the summer. Usually when I take off from a stop0 light after a minute or two, the temp starts reading actual at the snorkel opening. If I am sitting at a stop light for a minute or two, the temp starts to rise from the engine and front cylinder exhaust down tube.

That sounds 'Logical'.... HA!

Hello? is this thing on??

The same thing happens on my truck. They put the outside temp sensor right in front of the radiator so if I'm idling for awhile I'll get false high temp readings.

It was the IAT that I was seeing fluctuate because of heat from the engine. Whats an average coolant temp in the middle of summer and what is getting too high?

The ecm will turn the fans on about 180-190 (F). This setting can be adjusted by tunepro. The bike will shut down to prevent over-heating at 230 F. At least mine does. I got caught in a traffic jam on the highway this summer with little movement. The temp light came on at about 227 and the bike shut down at 230. Pushed to the side of road and had a cigarette or two with the ol' lady, waited for traffic to clear. Bike had cooled down to about 220 f. Got back up to 60 MPH and the temp dropped to 190 in about 30 seconds. Airflow is your friend.

Offer void where prohibited, some assembly required.