Thread: Details on swapping out primary chain

Details on swapping out primary chain

Last year I bought an 09 Uly that had the XB9 primary chain installed in place of the stock chain. Control down low is nice and all, but I want to run it stock. I end up doing mostly highway miles, not off-road.

Other than the service manual, which I have, is there a decent walk-through video or picture set of someone doing the swap? My standard google searches haven't turned up anything decent. I don't want to pay the $250 for Harley to do the work if I can do it myself. I already have the primary and other gaskets necessary for the swap. Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Dan

http://www.jp2code.net/xr/ScottyMod/

Instead of the box wrench, i used a piece of aluminum.

Inactive
    nice post by global eyes and good recommendation. do not use the wrench as a locking device. get ahold of ken on here who goes by thrstrmech. he's excellent posted a pic of a locking tool he built a few years ago that serves the purpose nicely. in essence it is a piece of flat bar stock steel nicely beveled at each end to fit snugly between front and rear gear teeth to lock the primary during removal and install. an air gun highly recommended as well.

Wow. You guys are incredible. Thanks so much. Looks easy enough, and god knows I have months to work things out and do it correctly. December in Minnesota - need I say more?

I can send you my locking tool if you pay the amount and when i get it back ill refund you

Is that the tool from ASB? If yes, I'll catch up with you when I'm ready to do the swap - that would be great, thanks.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Omiotek View Post
    I can send you my locking tool if you pay the amount and when i get it back ill refund you
    very kind offer on your part. that right there is one of the reasons board membership mandatory in conjunction with buell ownership.

I used a 3 inch brass door hinge from my local home improvement store. Got the idea from a badweb post. Has worked like a charm for multiple tear down and rebuild procedures.
    Here's a link to a pic that should give you an idea of how it works.
    http://www.hdforums.com/forum/attach...n-img_0170.jpg
    Only thing I did differently was put a few layers of duct tape around mine for extra protection.
    The total cost for the DIY tool should be 3 to 5 bucks.