Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new buell owner wanting to know what the look over on bike during winter

new buell owner wanting to know what the look over on bike during winter

i just joined the world of buell last weekend after i totaled my yamaha fz1 on a doe during rut. i picked up a 2007 lightning xb12s with 23,xxx miles and am loving it. i have heard that buells can have some issues and i am just looking to see what i should look over and fix over the winter months. i lubed the clutch cable and plan on changing the oil( what oil and filter should i use)? also i plan on picking up some shorty levers and found these for pretty cheap http://www.madhornets.com/shorty-lev...color-options/. have you guys dealt with these? or have recommendations? i like the asv ones but dont want spend that much. thanks in advanced

welcome to the world of Buell motorcycles, first of all pics or didn't happen madhornet levers are great, direct fit. Amsoil was my choice, but you have other choices. there's a parts cross reference thread with lots of great info such as oil filter brands that fit. remove you airbox covers and base plate to get a good look at the rocker covers, throttle body, cables, wires and wire connectors. check the coil for security as well as plug wires. under the seat, check everything especially the battery terminals and grounds. fuses, tail light and turn signal connections. remove the flyscreen and do the same. if you're not sure of something, post pics and ask away like a mad man. wheel bearings, get them from All Balls Racing, about 40 bucks for both front and rear wheels. bearing spacers, if needed. brake fluid, change it, brake pads change 'em if needed. check that everything attached to the handle bars are secure. download the service manual from buellmods.com, follow it! check the belt also, take your time looking the bike over. sure others will chime in with more things to look over that I didn't list.

That's about spot on!
    Thrstrmech-great advice. Especially coming from a Yamaha man! I guess once you've gone buell you can never go back.

awesome thanks guys!

Inactive
    the first time you have an electrical gremlin...and you will....remove the seat and carefully inspect every single wire that appears to be a ground....both battery cables....cable terminal ends....and condition of the battery. there are multiple grounds under the seat area and readily visible as well as 4 grounds behind your lightning headlight bucket. these grounding points along with the fact that XB's eat batteries can cause a myriad of annoying problems. add a battery tender harness and a volt gauge. the peace of mind worth the small price of admission.

Welcome! Like thrstmech says...pics! As you are already seeing...great advice and knowledge to be found here. And, most importantly...have fun with the Buell!

Hello mate! welcome to the family! you came to the right place with awesome bikes and an amazing bunch of people! i love it here! now we just need to find a shortened version of your user name! ha ha ha

thanks guys, im loving the support and how quick it came so quick. yea everyone seems to know a whole lot which is very helpful
    IMG_1387.jpg

also i found this behind the lower cowl, it wasnt connected to anything. any ideas what it is for? i pulled the cluth and brakes levers and thr throttle and it didnt move? IMG_1392.jpg

Is that an aftermarket exhaust? If so, it could be the interactive exhaust cable that was left disconnected instead of completely removed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast