Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Dilemma

Upcoming Dilemma

So after the new year I will be traveling for work for the whole year, my bikes will be left unused in the garage/shed for a full year.

I have a few of them and am curious what type of preventive measure I should take to prevent any issues when I get back. I have toped off the fuel with Sta-bil and Startron (ethanol treatment) and rode it about 60 min before putting them up. I think that the same measure would apply to each one, but here is what I have. If there are any special things to look into for a specific bike, please let me know.

1989 Cafe Raced Sportster
    2003 Buell Blast
    2006 Buell Uly
    2008 1125R
    2009 Harley Ultra Classic (daily driver year round)
    2014 EBR 1190SX (just purchased 250 miles so far)

By the way I'm in CT and traveling to Florida (Riviera Beach and Panama City) for the year and can't take them with me. I am actually looking to buy something while I'm down there and will sell when I leave if anyone knows of a good bike for a good deal (does't have to be a Buell/EBR/Harley). I am looking around craigslist and have seen a couple Street Triples, V-Strom, or FJR's that are enticing.

Cross posting to BadWeb for input also.

Thanks for all replies
    Jeremy

Inactive
    here's what i do with any bike facing long-term storage. how you decide to do any sort of building/shed climate control and security measures up to you.
    1-stabil treat the fuel as per container directions and run for 5-10 minutes to circulate the fuel mix.
    2-access the throttle body by removing airbox cover and airbox lid. purchase a spray bomb of "fogging agent". any marina or boat sale joint sells it as well as online. start motor....hold at 2500rmp and fog till it stalls. only takes a few seconds. replace airbox lid and seal off any openings in lid to prevent mice from nesting. they LOVE the air filter area on a buell. don't ask how i know.
    3-in your case i would remove battery and store indoors.
    4-spray all exterior shiny bits EXCEPT the F&R rotors with an anit-corrosive spray.
    5-park front and rear tires on cardboard. i would NOT use carpet.
    6-cover with something snug and a material that does not attract moisture.
    7-disc brake lock recommended.

awesome thanks for the quick reply. I do have the battery tender for each bike, including the proper one for the Shorai battery in the EBR.

I will look into the fog process and how to close up the airbox. I know when I purchased the Uly after it had been sitting for a couple years that it also included some friends too.

Why do you recommend using cardboard undertake tires?
    Last edited by 1125RBlaster; 12-19-2015 at 04:13 PM.

Inactive
    just personal preference i've developed thru the years of storing hundreds of bikes and cars. carpet and newspaper seems to suck the juices out of tires....carpet tends to want to bond itself to tires....cardboard seems to work best. just personal preference.

Okay, understand. Thanks

Great info John. Didnt know about the carpet thing.

this rep point system sucks balls.

With you on the rep point bull tried to give you and John points and wouldn't allow this new sh-t sucks.
    Last edited by rchuff; 12-19-2015 at 07:31 PM.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by buell248 View Post
    Great info John. Didnt know about the carpet thing.
    thanks much dave and by the way...very merry Christmas to you and yours.

Great info, as usual

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast