Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bringing an XB9R back to life... and having trouble starting it...

That sounds like a 03 xb fuel pump that is running dry.... I.e. No gas or very little gas... If you have gas in it.... More then a gallon Take the air box off spray carb cleaner down the throttle body and start the bike....
    Open the throttle and spray more down the motor and see if it revs up. If it does with a little pop through the intake.
    If it does and sounds like it is hitting on two cylinders....
    Remove the fuel line from the throttle body (push the red button in with a screwdriver on the fuel clamp then pull)
    Get a can or beer bottle stick the fuel in it and then turn the kill switch on and off to see how much fuel is coming out...

If there is a bunch of fuel coming out like a night of hard beer drinking then skip to number two...

1) no fuel or a trickle.... Pull your rear shock lower your swing arm get a gas can and drain your tank ( there is a drain plug on the fuel pump) then remove the fuel pump and check the screen/bag filter clean it then put it back together...

Special note.... Evenly tighten the fuel pump in and make sure that you don't pinch the rubber seals..

2) if you have fuel in it and fuel pressure but the bike is miss still misfiring... You might have a bad points sensor.

I threw in two gallons of hi-test just to make sure I had enough fuel in the tank, the pump seemed to be pushing out plenty of fuel. Put it all together and rode it for a few miles, the fuel pump screech is significantly reduced. Actually sounds more or less normal now. Still audible while riding at very slow speeds, but barely. That 'first ride', though, brought up a bunch of new questions - I'll post them in a new thread.

Thanks for the advice though, it really helped!!!

Inactive
    this will sound like "old-school BS" coming from a geezer.....all of which it is....but try adding 4 ounces of marvel mystery oil to your full fresh fuel mix then ride a bit more. often times it will refresh and quiet a noisy XB fuel pump. if the sound continues it will need to be replaced as failure inevitable. and failure never happens in your garage....always far away from home.

and failure never happens in your garage....always far away from home.

LOL. You have been warned.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlogix View Post
    and failure never happens in your garage....always far away from home.

LOL. You have been warned.
    damn tootin! Happy New Year John.

Hey, i gotta ask....did you buy this from Jamesburg NJ? or the area? thanks Shawn...they told me this bike sold for 1500

Quote Originally Posted by Restlessrustler View Post
    Hey, i gotta ask....did you buy this from Jamesburg NJ? or the area? thanks Shawn...they told me this bike sold for 1500
    Nope... picked it up in South Florida.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12