Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Real life input on fastener replacement?

snrusnak, where do you live? Is the corrosion problem from salty air or salty roads? I am surprised the OEM hardware is an issue so quickly, I haven't seen the problem with mine even living near the ocean.

I agree with what you guys say about painting slightly corroded bolt heads for a better aesthetic. Rustoleum is better than regular Krylon. If it's just the heads getting ugly, that's what I would do. Even a clear coat, anything to stop it from oxidizing. Something like POR-15 is a good idea and it comes in silver and black. It would totally solve the problem (that stuff is amazing!) but the finish is not pretty.

I don't think dissimilar metals will be a problem where your using them either. Typically thats only a 'big' problem when dealing with electrical currents and there shouldn't be any electrical flow through your forks!

IMO, you would be fine with 18-8 stainless for small brackets and body parts up to 1/4" but something like a caliper bolt or axle pinch bolt needs OEM hardness hardware (anti-seize the threads and paint the head). Stainless doesn't like flexing or heat cycles either, you'll be able to remove it...until you can't

FYI Minimum yield strength: Grade 5 is 92K psi vs. 18.8 stainless 20K - 65K psi "typical"
    https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-i...ade-chart.aspx
    Last edited by Cooter; 01-14-2016 at 05:26 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12