Thread: the Buell Story

Inactive

the Buell Story

a very nice and informative vid if you've never seen it. and what makes this American icon such a fine person?
    he's a PA. native of course!
    Note that his first bike was a liquid-cooled 2-stroke box four...very Gamma like. i'm betting he's also quite adept at tuning smokers....which makes him even extra cooler.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 02-16-2019 at 12:57 AM.

I got to meet Erik at Laguna Seca a few years ago. MotoGP was still racing there then. He was racing a team in AMA. He was really nice to me. I had paddock passes and he was standing out in front of his tent just hanging out. I said: "Man, you've come a long way", and he replied: "feels like a long way". That was it, but still fresh in my mind.
    Last edited by jl551c; 02-16-2019 at 03:22 AM. Reason: wrong words

He is such a cool dude. Harley could really use him and Buell at the moment.

I really liked that video. The guy who did it had a great combination of facts and funny.

I think all of us Buell owners relate to Erik. All our friends have Harleys or Japanese Sportbikes and we are fanatical about our Bike, mine of which is 13 years old, in emaculate shape and just so damn unique that everyone gathers around it to see what it is.

It's funny that the author of this video calls Erik Badass numerous times because that's probably the #1 comment I receive on my bike.
    Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

Quote Originally Posted by jl551c View Post
    I got to meet Erik at Laguna Seca a few years ago. MotoGP was still racing there then. He was racing a team in AMA. He was really nice to me. I had paddock passes and he was standing out in front of his tent just hanging out. I said: "Man, you've come a long way", and he replied: "feels like a long way". That was it, but still fresh in my mind.
    Very cool memory.

I met him at the NYC motorcycle show 2-3 years ago, they were introducing the EBR Black lightening, at first I didn't even realize it was him, very intelligent person, really knows motorcycle engineering !

After reading this thread last night I turned on the TV and watched the Mecum Motorcycle Auction that I had recorded. Beautiful motorcycles... Every classic bike you can think of selling for hundreds of thousand dollars. I was surprised to see Hondas starting to pop up for auction and selling for $40 - 50K. Imagine that! Granted they were rare race bikes, but most Hondas were left leaning against the barn to rust away once they quit. Salvageable ones are being made into Cafe Racers.

With a really cool video like this one, (and many others like it), and the amount of respect the industry has for Erik I wonder how long will it be before we start to see Buells show up at auctions for big bucks? 20 or 30 years? For every classic bike at the auction the commentators gave an interesting story about the bike and manufacturer's history. What a story Buell has to tell! Look at what old Nortons and Triumphs are going for these days, not to mention classic Indians and Harleys. I just wonder how many purely stock Buells will be around by then, lol. Hold on to those stock parts, you could be riding around on a future fortune!