Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I ride without the front motor mount...?

And the ******** bolt is *still* in it. Sigh. Is this fixable or did I just hose the motor?

Can you take a picture of the section that broke off?

Please post a good picture.

Here's a pic.

tiebar-hell.jpg

Maybe a welder can repair it and weld in a stud...?

Banned
    Remove the bolt residues with Dremel then weld a duralumin (alloy 6061, 6061-T6 is the best for tensile strength) stud in the hole. You want to drill (or rim) the hole for the stud with necessary diameter to press fit. Use the stud with appropriate diameter to fit the brace lug hole. Ideally the stud and welding zone should be properly heat treated after the weld to restore the original strength. Then cut threads on the stud tip (only on the stud tip, keep the stud brace lug area with no threads), then mount the brace with nut. You wand to remove all wires and cables far away from the welding area and I would recommend you drain gasoline before the process, so you anyway want to prepare the motorcycle at your place than take it to the welder using a truck. The risk is that welding can overheat the engine case in the welding zone and deform the engine case, so you want to ask the welder to use less power and tack weld the stud very lightly with big time pauses between each welding spot to let the engine case to cool down.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 01-23-2016 at 05:25 AM.

I'd look around your area for companies that do EDM (electrical discharge machining). See if any of them have a mobile Spark Drill so that they can try without taking the motor out (making sure all wiring and computer are disconnected from the motor). It's going to be rare that they have a mobile one, and if they don't, you'll have to pull the motor and have it done on the spark drill table in their shop. Spent six years running wire EDM, getting that bolt out with a spark drill would be your cleanest and best bet.

http://www.thomasnet.com/florida/wir...5171047-1.html

Just so I'm clear on the path I need to take to bring this back under control...

Step 1. Find a company that does EDM. Ask them if they have a mobile spark drill. If so, disconnect wiring and ECU from motor so that they can apply their sorcerous ways and remove what's left of the bolt. If not, completely remove the motor from the bike (oh my God I just heaved the biggest sigh in the world), transport it to an EDM company, and have them remove the errant bolt. Man, I hope they have a mobile one.

Step 2. Find a welder that can install a duralumin (6061 or 6061-T) stud into the hole, following the precise instructions TPEHAK outlined, and ensuring that they do it very slowly so as to not warp the engine shell.

Does this sound about right? Any and all advice is welcome...

Good luck to you man. This is a lot of work, money and down time...
    It's worth it though so stay positive, take your time and be sure to vet out a good welder who will follow all the competent advice...

What's been happening?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast