Thread: Looking to get an xb9sx

Looking to get an xb9sx

It is a 2005 buell xb9sx with 24k miles on it. It is in great condition without any problems. It needs a new front tire. I offered him $3000 but he countered with $3300. KBB says its worth up to 3500 but NAPA says its only worth 2500. Does anyone think it's worth it? Is the bike something very unique it's worth dropping a few hundred dollars more? I also understand that it will be harder to find parts and they will be more expensive if I ever need.

Any direction would help, thanks

I love my XB9SX. Great fun reliable bike. Parts arent hard to find so I wouldnt let that worry you. And plenty of people with more miles than that.

Mine is at 36k and still strong.

That is good to know, thanks for the reply. I definitely want it but do you think 3300 is too much?

Personally, with the miles on it, I would not pay more than $3000. The pre-2008 XB's had a weaker crank that did have instances of failure (replaced in 2008 with a heavier duty crank), hence why I went with a 2009 Xb12. I suggest taking a telescoping magnet and sticking it into the oil tank to see if you get any shavings... That could be an indicator of the crank going. Another thing to consider, is what kind of power you like out of your bike. If you are at freeway speeds or faster a lot, you may find the xb9 gearing/power to be lacking at higher speeds. If you are going to be spending time in the twisties, either bike will be loads of fun.

I love my XB9SX. The post above about lacking power at higher speeds is accurate. It doesn't like to pick up much past 70-75. It is an exercise in patience to go faster than that. Now, getting to 75 is quite fun however.

Does he have the bike up for sale or did you approach him? Is it really worth $300 to you to miss out on this bike?

If someone approached me to buy, I'd give them a high figure. If they said it's too much, I'd tell them to enjoy their bike and I'll enjoy mine.

What else can you tell about the bike, how clean is it, aftermarket parts etc?

I agree with the fellas above (about pricing), around 3k is pretty fair and common for the bikes (unfortunately for people selling) because they are great bikes.

I wouldn't pay more than $3,000.00 for it, I purchased my 03 XB9S w/ 20K for miles in EXCELLENT shape and with brand new Michelin tires and extra parts for $2,200.00.

Thanks for direction guys. I was torn but we didn't come to an agreement, he jumped back up to $3500 and you guys seem to know what you are talking about. I did end up finding a great 1125cr for $4500 so I think it worked out better for me in the end. I always liked Buells as an observer so I am glad I finally have one of my own!

The 1125 for 4.5K dollars is a great deal. I can tell you this: Buell's are more expensive in Europe. For that xb9 with 24K miles on it, (assuming it has no damage and still looks great) you pay around 5K euro, which is 5.5K dollars nowadays. There is a huge difference in performance between xb9 and 1125cr. I think you have made the right choice! The 1125CR is wonderful!!! Enjoy it!!!