Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buell XB excessive unusual vibration

Banned

Buell XB excessive unusual vibration

Today going back home on my Buell XB 2009 Scg with 12000 miles I noticed weird excessive vibration. The hardest vibration happened while deceleration, but the motorcycle vibrated unusually at any RPM and it was even uncomfortable to ride.

At home I checked the motorcycle and all looked OK except the front isolator. The front isolator assembly looks weird and not usual. It looks like the front isolator slided down the front isolator bolt and rubber inside the isolator cracked. I can see pieces of cracked rubber on the top side of the front isolator. Here are the pictures

How can I fix it? Do I need to replace just the rubber or whole front isolator assembly?

Is there anything else that can cause unusual vibration?

Can I ride the motorcycle before I fix it?

Is tat possible that the slided down engine can damage something and I need to check this?

How is that possible that gently ridden motorcycle got this issue?

How can I prevent this issue in the future?

Is that possible that the rear isolator can be worn too?
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 02-10-2016 at 03:01 AM.

Whole isolator. (It's 3 bolts while supporting bottom of motor) you need 3/8" & 5/16" I think Allen/hex sockets. The rubber ripped out.
    Paul may have a used one but I know most go quickly.
    I haven't let one go in awhile.

^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^

Banned

I thought American Sport Bike went under??? but I would definitely put on a new oem part if available, no sense putting on salvaged parts!

ASB is still operating, they are not going under, they are choosing to shut the doors and enjoy life a little

Quote Originally Posted by Theycallmecrash View Post
    ASB is still operating, they are not going under, they are choosing to shut the doors and enjoy life a little
    yes, just checked out the website, looks like they are selling what they have in stock.

I was told ASB will be selling what they have in stock and even restocking some fast selling items while they wait for an offer on their building. Al has done an amazing job helping the Buell community for a long time and I'm looking at this is a well deserved break. Best of luck to him and glad you got an OEM part for your bike.

Banned
    OK, it looks like it will take extra few weeks to wait my new front isolator from Americansportbike.com and it looks like there is no other place where you can find this part. So I decided to buy and install used front isolator from Ebay to bring my motorcycle back to the road while I'm waiting my new front isolator.

DO NOT BUY USED FRONT ISOLATOR if there is no rush! Here is the used Buell XB 2006 isolator I've got from Ebay, it has cracks and it looks like it is not going to work long time.

Here is front isolator replacing process.

Put the motorcycle on the rear and front stands

Slide motorcycle jack under the muffler jacking points and slightly raise the engine to support the engine weight and unload the front isolator

Unscrew the clutch cable bracket and the front isolator bolt keeping raising or lowering the motorcycle jack to prevent front isolator bolt or insert threads damage

Unscrew two front isolator bracket fasteners

Remove the front isolator. Here is my broken front isolator. It looks like the isolator rubber cracked along the outside diameter wall

I noticed the front isolator mounting face on the frame does not have the Upper Snubber! Is it OK? Is it possible that the factory guy did not attach the Upper Snubber?

Loosely attach the new front isolator with front isolator bolt slowly raising and lowering the motorcycle jack to catch the spot where the bolt will go with no resistance

Install front isolator bracket fasteners, and tighten to 49-51 ft-lbs (66-69 Nm)

Screw front isolator bolt up to the end by hand slowly raising and lowering the motorcycle jack to prevent cross-threading front isolator bolt or insert

Tighten front isolator bolt to 49-51 ft-lbs (66-69 Nm)

Install clutch cable bracket and tighten fastener to 84-92 in-lbs (9.5-10.4 Nm)

Done! Now the motorcycle works with no vibration. It takes about 3 hours to replace the front isolator.

Last edited by TPEHAK; 02-25-2016 at 03:52 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast