Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 03 xb9r fork rebuild...parts and oil?

Forks are done. Thanks all for the part numbers and video. First fork took around 2 days. Had to get tools I didn't have and make a spring compressor. 2nd fork. ~ an hour to finish.

So the right fork is leaking again. Made it just under 2 yrs. Might try to clean the seal. Just a thin piece of plastic? Don't really want to tear into it again, nor have enough oil to do both. Not sure how valid this sounds but could using heavier oil (10wt) contribute to the leaking, being that now the weather is colder, riding in mid-low 30 degrees. I think not, but figured I would ask. I will probably get some 7.5wt and refill both legs. I did find all the parts to rebuild them at st paul HD this time around. Might order all the parts so I have them later on, and get an extra set of seals. JIC. Last change I used:
    10w.jpg

You may want to use a seal mate to try to clean out the seal. Since it is the right side, it tends to get dirtier due to brake dust in addition to normal road grime.

I have a spring compressor I've used on my SS and another bike I can send you to borrow... but honestly, for the price of shipping it back and forth, you could own one. This is what I have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-M...733095ba4d4ae0

The ol' 35mm film trick is a cheap option, if you don't want to buy a Seal Mate.

If the cleaning doesn't do it and you need to replace the seals, I make it a point a point to cover the sharp edges of the chrome inner tube with a piece of plastic when installing into the new seal the first time, then remove the plastic. That way it doesn't score the new seal and shorten its life.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    The ol' 35mm film trick is a cheap option, if you don't want to buy a Seal Mate.

If the cleaning doesn't do it and you need to replace the seals, I make it a point a point to cover the sharp edges of the chrome inner tube with a piece of plastic when installing into the new seal the first time, then remove the plastic. That way it doesn't score the new seal and shorten its life.
    35mm film... whats that ?

At this point, a Seal Mate is probably less expensive and easier to find than 35mm film.

Here is a pic of Cooter dropping off 35mm film

Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-27-2019 at 05:16 PM.

How DARE you 34:19!

Im a Chevy guy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Im a Chevy guy.....
    I'm sorry Cooter, How long have you had that condition....

That era of B-Bodies was the best! Although I favor the C-bodies. I love the fuselage bodies. Brought my daughter home in a 68 Chrysler Town-N-Country 9 passenger wagon!!....Not a fuselage style body. Just saying.

I didn't realize how stupid that sounded about temps and seals leaking Bald blonde moment.
    As per the Dr's instructions I stopped and got a bottle of Lucas PS leak stop. Awesome idea John!!

34:19 good point on the right side. That one was the trouble maker last time as well. Thank you for the offer, and yes, i'm sure shipping will negate any benefit. For that price, might have to pick one up. Should I tell them you sent me, or will they charge me more?

Also Due to the rarity, I did not sacrifice the 35mm...
    Today, clean the seals and hopefully get a few more rides in before the snow hits..

Area51.jpg
    Last edited by rb70383; 11-28-2019 at 05:11 PM.

Cleaned the seals today. Hope it works. Test ride tomorrow. Should make it into the mid 30’s.

Quote Originally Posted by rb70383

34:19 good point on the right side. That one was the trouble maker last time as well. Thank you for the offer, and yes, i'm sure shipping will negate any benefit. For that price, might have to pick one up. Should I tell them you sent me, or will they charge me more?
    Ha! You’re probably better not mentioning my name. Lol

I pulled my fork leg apart this fall, the right leg (the one with the big loopy round thing on it) and there was almost a tea spoon of grey goop in the leg. I had changed the fork seal a year earlier but obviously didn't do a good job of draining and cleaning the fork tubes before re-assembly. I did the 35mm film trick and used a fast food wrapper once when I was touring to clean out the seal, but the obvious fix was to take it apart and properly inspect the fork tube. I would also make sure you don't have any corrosion or nicks on your tubes, they will cut up a seal in no time. Sometimes you can get lucky with a scotch brite pad to clean it up. With one brake rotor, a drop of fork oil can be disastrous. Ask me!!! I didn't realized i had a small leak, The Uly obviously doesnt get washed enough. I grabbed by front brake and the bike didn't even try to slow down. Thankfully it was a clear traffic light...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123