Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 03 xb9r fork rebuild...parts and oil?

I guess it is worth noting that
    All 03-04 bikes are 41mm
    All (except SCG and SL) 05-10 bikes are 43mm
    All SCG and SL bikes are 41mm

The 03-04 service manual calls for 4.6 in. (118 mm)

This chart is for 2005-2010 bikes (from 2009 service manual)
    Last edited by AZmidget91; 02-10-2016 at 06:47 PM.

ya those pics and stuff dont make scenes to me. is it 4.21 from the top. then the other pic seems like you fill to the top or something.

the fork oil height is the measurement from the top of the oil to the top of the fork tube. So, yes, 4.21" measured from the top of the fork tube, down to the oil.

Thank you AZ!
    I need to write those part numbers down I do have the service manual. says to use type E oil? What is that in English?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by rb70383 View Post
    Thank you AZ!
    I need to write those part numbers down I do have the service manual. says to use type E oil? What is that in English?
    10wt. OR 7.5wt if you consistently ride in temps under 60F .

10 weight it is. Thx Lunatic!

Just ordered the parts. ~$60 + shipping. Don't have a stand but I think my engine hoist should be able to hold the bike upright. Too bad I can't work on it like my bicycle. Flip it over onto the seat and handlebars. 🤔

Thanks for the links man. You made it look easy. I've been a little scared to tackle this job even after a total engine rebuild. Ordered everything needed for a fork rebuild.

I'm coming up on a fork rebuild also, and thinking about possibly revalving the damper. Has anybody had theirs revalved by Race Tech or Öhlins? Opinions?

how much oil total for but forks?

Buellmods.com for service manual.
    YouTube is your friend when trying to work up the courage to rework your own forks. LOTS of videos out there! Doesn't matter that the videos aren't for the exact same forks. The video AZ posted and others will help give you an idea of what you're in for. Before I did mine I watched about a dozen different videos. When I felt ready to do the job I printed out the pages of the service manual that covered the fork rebuild and crossed of each step as I went along. Not the fastest way to get the job done but it insured I didn't miss a single step.
    Take your time, follow the service manual, be very organized, have a clean work area and you'll have the rebuild done in no time.
    When I did mine I ordered one quart of motolu(I think that was the name brand) 10wt fork oil and it was more than enough for both fork legs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast