Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How much would you spend on a watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    Go cytocis that is a beautiful and touching thing you did.
    Thanks so much for sharing
    Quote Originally Posted by noone1569 View Post
    You're a good person. That PR50 is beautiful as well.
    Thanks Gents! Although, I'm sure I've done enough bad stuff in life that I'm still going to Hell!
    Last edited by go cytocis; 02-20-2016 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    The world of expensive watches is fascinating. For example, authorized dealers vs grey market vs black market.
    Yup.

I'd never spend any real coin in the black market; you have no idea about what you're actually getting, where it's been, or who you're getting it from.

The authorized dealers on the other hand are often unwilling or unable to negotiate prices, though in tough economic times luxury watches are one of the first things people quit buying & I've been able to get as much as 30% off retail.

The grey market is an interesting compromise because you're getting the genuine article, just without the manufacturer's warranty & packaging. However, if you're not buying it as an investment, & you do your research on the particular watch you're interested in & pick something with bullet-proof reviews, the risks are pretty low.

I just got this grey market automatic Orient Marshall from Japan. I'm actually impressed with the quality in consideration of the price (MSRP is $250 & I got it for $100), though it's definitely not up to Swiss, or even Seiko, standards. The bracelet is especially cheap; I think I'll swap it out for a leather strap.

photo.jpg

Orient is a cool company. They meticulously build their watches and use in house movements just like Rolex, but the price is outstanding.

You guys should give Nixon a go, you will be VERY satisfied....I love mine and it's been bulletproof for years

This one here is a knock off, considering the orig. is 10+g's.

http://www.perfectwatches.cn/hublot-...ial-80193.html

Some others on the cheaper end i thought were nice looking.

http://www.mvmtwatches.com/collections/men

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Nixon-Se...UAAOSwnH1WXiAi

Made in Merica

http://www.shinola.com/
    Last edited by Global Eyes; 03-03-2016 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    Orient is a cool company. They meticulously build their watches and use in house movements just like Rolex, but the price is outstanding.
    Yup, I agree it's impressive that Orient is able to offer in-house movements at the prices they do. Having said that, the ETA 2824-2 found in just about anything Swiss that isn't a Rolex and/or over $10,000 is an awesome movement. I have it in 3 different watches & they all keep better time than the caliber 3135 in my Datejust.

Quote Originally Posted by Global Eyes View Post
    This one here is a knock off, considering the orig. is 10+g's.
    I've never had any luck with knock-offs. They stop working, or they begin tarnishing, within months. I've found it's best just to take the $100, $200, or $300 you'd spend on a knock-off, & buy a unique entry-level watch from a genuine brand that isn't trying to copy anything else. Having said that, the Miyota movement in that Hubolt knock-off should be decent. They are used in Citizens & such.

Quote Originally Posted by Global Eyes View Post
    Made in Merica
    Bulova is an American brand that puts out decent entry-level automatic watches. I believe they're owned by Citizen now so they probably use that same Japanese Miyota movement, at least in some of their models, as that knock-off Hubolt above...

Quote Originally Posted by wickedchop View Post
    You guys should give Nixon a go, you will be VERY satisfied....I love mine and it's been bulletproof for years
    I've always been mildly interested in Nixons, especially their 'Elite' models which use a Swiss ETA movement, but I find them a bit too fashion-oriented for my tastes. I'd be concerned about spending $1000 on a watch that will look dated in 3 years. What model do you have?

You gotta be careful with the knock offs. They are notorious for using unethical practices like child labor. That's not something I would want to endorse.

Quote Originally Posted by go cytocis View Post
    I've always been mildly interested in Nixons, especially their 'Elite' models which use a Swiss ETA movement, but I find them a bit too fashion-oriented for my tastes. I'd be concerned about spending $1000 on a watch that will look dated in 3 years. What model do you have?
    Nixon does have a very fashion oriented line-up and you are correct, why spend a good amount of cash for a dust collector in three yrs. That's why I choose the 51-30 tide stainless white face. Had it for four yrs now, paid $600 back then now you can get them as low as high $200's to the door. I wear it out to dinner, and wear it religiously surfing. It was designed for surfers hence the dial on the opposite side. It has NEVER missed a beat and I have yet to change the battery. Ill get a pic when I get home.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234