Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2003 XB9S goes under the knife, advice welcome

2003 XB9S goes under the knife, advice welcome

Well, I have a rear base gasket leak. Not major, but my headers are unraveling and the bike has 25k on it so I feel like a refresher would be nice.

I want to replace the internals, but what is available? I'd like some higher rpms, are there lighter internals available? A way to get the top end to run that fast?

Thanks in advance.

You have to split the cases and get your crank lightened. Least that's the only way I know how.
    Someone else might chime in with different ideas.

don't go for more revs... this kind of motor wasn't built for that. stroke it out with a 1203 crank so you are peddling harder instead of faster.. you run a 1203 on a 984 primary and it will be quick, real quick and strong in that 0-100mph.. if you leave the 984 pistons in it you will get 12:1 compression and make more power... 12:1 is a lot for the street though.. I would maybe shave the domes down to get 11:1 if that is possible.. you would have to ask someone real good at computing squish.

I have the same bike and the same problem.. any pictures or text you can post along the way will help me out tremendously!

Gloom, what you just suggested would still require the cases to be split. Xb9 and xb12 pistons are the same size/diameter. It's the difference in the crank/stroke that changes the displacement between the two.
    Noonagon-A base gasket leak requires an engine rotation. That's it. Tightening up the squish on your current set up is a good suggestion. For some set ups it's as easy as eliminating the base gasket. This and many other mods are completely useless without the right tune.
    If you're thinking of different pistons or rings for your current set up Im not sure what options are out there. And or if any of those options are much better than what you already have from the factory.
    How far are you wanting to go? This is usually only limited by the depth of your pockets when talking about engine mods.
    Anyway, let us know exactly how far you're wanting to go.
    Just remember, as Gloom already said, more revs will negate engine reliability and longevity.
    Last edited by Chicknstripn; 02-23-2016 at 11:35 AM.

Again research. Expect $2-3k + depending on what you plan to do. A simple bolt on big bore kit w xb12 intake & exhaust will bump you to mid 80s but you really would need cams.

Could get 100 fairly easy from a built xb9. One of the ex NRHS guys is selling a kit now that would probably give you one of the higher figures.

Or just buy a 12 motor & parts, then swap it in for $1500 or so.

http://www.nrhsperformance.com/ekitbuellxb9r.shtml

Again as Chicknstripn said it's all for naught without a proper tune. Personally I would just rebuild with the 1050 kit or buy a 1200 engine and ecu and call it a day.
    Last edited by Flatout; 02-23-2016 at 03:39 PM.

he has to split the cases anyway if he wants a lighter crank and rods..so that is a non -issue go with 1203 crank and pistons, intake, headers..

this motor likes to pedal hard, not fast.. just look at what happened on the old XBRR
    Last edited by Gloomshadow; 02-23-2016 at 09:10 PM.

What base gaskets are you going with? I need to order mine and there is so much conflicting information I have read on them. Some say get from HD some say don't.. some say some o-ring needs removed, some don't mention it

the O-rings are for the oil return galleys and should be replaced if you are pulling it apart. (would not reuse) Plus O-rings at top of pushrod covers.

Last edited by rchuff; 02-28-2016 at 11:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast