Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need honest opinion

Need honest opinion

Sorry if this is the wrong part and it should be under general, but the question revolves around xb's. Anyways, I need everyone's honest opinion on some bikes, I'm having the worst time deciding what my next bike should be with plans to keep it for years down the road. I am coming to you guys because I think you'll be the most honest while knowing about buell's, posting on another board like a kawi one with buell as an option I feel like it will automatically get ruled out. History, rode an '09 xb9sx for 6 months, LOVED it! That was my first bike and almost wish I still had it. My options for my next bike are as follows xb12 (can't decide on scg, ss, or s, at almost 5'9" not sure what's best). Speed Triple (rode the street triple r and it was great, but want the power to keep me happy down the road). FZ-09 (rode my buddies and it was great too). Finally the z1000 (I have a friend that thinks his is the best bike in the world). I am going to test ride an xb12 and z1000 soon but I want to hear your opinion on what the best bike to live with will be. It will be a partial daily/weekend canyon carver. I am taking into account all issues from insurance to mpg to ride comfort to power. Thanks for anyone's help!
    Last edited by airwak; 02-26-2016 at 08:20 AM.

Well, I have a 09' SCG, so I am partial to it. For commuting, the 1203cc displacement and gearing makes highway riding more comfortable than the Xb9's. As for compared to other bikes, I think it is probably more of a personal preference. I chose the XB for a couple of factors:

1. I owned a sportster prior so I am familiar with the engine and am able to wrench on it.

2. Ease of maintenance... No need to do more than fluid changes, clean air filter, brakes and tires as a matter of normal maintenance. The engine itself is a relative crude piece of machinery that is pretty bulletproof.

3. Character... Nice Harley rumble versus the high pitch whine of the Japanese bikes when putting around town. Also, so few on the road I always get people asking me what kind of bike it is.

4. Great performance on twisties. Shorter wheelbase and Erik Buell's trilogy of tech makes flicking the bike and taking those twisties super fun.

I do wonder if I would enjoy the 1125CR more with its higher torque helicon engine, but still happy with my XB.

This question gets asked 15 times a day. Go to google home page, type in "Buell XB..." Followed by whatever you want to know "...engine/maintenance/reliability/insurance"

I'm sure about 50 results will come back to you in less than 1sec. All on the forums. Not being mean, just want people to get a bike & learn for themselves to get their own ideas.

If you research enough, when/if a problem arises, you will already know how to deal with it. Be proactive, not reactive

5'9" probably need a low seat or a SL/SCG. The low suspension will fit any short chassis bike. Don't know what a short chassis XB is? Google it...

Welcome to the forum, I've ridden all kinds of stuff (TL, RC, SV, Gixxer#, Yamaha, BMW, Ducati) & there isn't a bike to compare the XB to. Other than a faster, higher revving, lighter, more powerful Harley. It's the only air cooled, 2 valve, single crank pin motor used in a sporty setup

The Kawa and Yama will be easier to live with. The XB is a tank but it has no manufacturer or shop support since 2009 so it will demand more from you. All bikes require maintenance, service and repair, but the Buell will add in an extra level of difficulty in terms of finding parts, mechanics and help.

Quote Originally Posted by airwak View Post
    rode an '09 xb9sx for 6 months, LOVED it! That was my first bike and almost wish I still had it.
    I think you answered your own question, took me a long time to pull the trigger on a Buell and I love it! There is a lot of help and good people on this site, what ever you decide it your decision, BUY A BUELL!

Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    The Kawa and Yama will be easier to live with. The XB is a tank but it has no manufacturer or shop support since 2009 so it will demand more from you. All bikes require maintenance, service and repair, but the Buell will add in an extra level of difficulty in terms of finding parts, mechanics and help.
    depends on what country you live in.. in the USA the parts are common and cost less than Honda parts... and about half the Harley dealerships will still work on them.

you are kinda comparing apples to oranges.. the 1203 isn't really in same class as the other bikes you mentioned. .. closer to a 600 but with a bunch of bottom end torque and midrange but without that same top end rush.

all those bikes you mentioned would be easy to live with if you are in the usa. You get the buell if you want a mean little V-twin to tear-ass around town or on back roads, messing with the heads of guys that have faster bikes. ask DMIN or read his thread in this section "new member from south Dakota" that's what its like when you first get your hands on a 12s

Thank you everyone for the replies. I am heading to hop on a z1k this weekend and see how it feels. If I don't like it then the xb12 is my next up. As far as maintenance goes I am fine without having dealer support because I like to wrench on all my cars anywyas, and I messed with my xb9 a little as well. Also trust me I have been searching on bike forums, here, z forums and everywhere. I'd rather ask a repetitive question here and get some flack then buy the wrong bike and regret it down the road. Also I am in California for what that matters. I understand the power curve difference between a z and xb, either flickable torque or up top all out speed. What I'm trying to get is a feel for what it will be like to live with compared to just a test ride, also xbs are somewhat hard to come by for test rides as they aren't extremely common especially in the seat configurations. The ss longer fuel range does seem somewhat appealing, but not sure if is worth loosing the short wheel base. Thanks again!

I can't decide. Do I want a Corvette? Or a Mack truck?

Just kidding You have good taste in bikes, it's just all over the place. That Z1000 is a crazy looking rocketship! I liked it but it was too much sport bike influence for me, Have you ridden the SpeedTriple yet?

Personally I think the best, good-looking, non-bellybutton, naked bikes are the Aprillia Tuono, BMW S1000R (the weird eyed alien bug is pissed), KTM SuperDuke, Triumph speedtriple, and all the Buells (of course). Seen the EBR 1190SX yet?. I'm never wrong. Just ask me, I'll tell ya so!

Oh, and BTW the wheelbase difference between the XBS and XBSs won't matter for street riding. All the Buells have super aggressive rake/trail and are already on the short side of most bikes. The fuel range difference isn't that much. At 5'9", You'll probably fit an XBScg the best.

SS is nice, feels like a Japanese 600 in a way, stable at the top end ... I like the S better for down low, its a tad more flickable for me in that 0-70mph bandwith than the SS but its real close. I like it when I rode one... the range on the S is fine.. 984 or 1203 I cant feel the difference in the real world.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast