Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to forum. 04XB12S

New to forum. 04XB12S

Hello yall. My name is Andrew and I am new to the forum. I am getting ready to start a new project with my 04 XB12S. I got this thing off a guy on craigslist about a year ago and it was running when I took it home. Apparently the guy Frankensteind the **** outta this bike, and it came with a lot of problems. The ignition was ripped out and had been replaced with a switch, so no key. It had the tail section of a Firebolt, along with a few other firebolt parts. (at least that what I believe). The front end was ratted chopped up. No gauges or anything, just a head light. Brakes were trashed, and there were electrical issues. Wires were a mess and the previous owner really took backyard mechanic to a whole new level. But hey, I liked the idea of a project Buell and the price was good so I took it home.

Long story short, I just want to introduce myself incase I run into trouble fixing this thing up. It stopped running after I let her sit for a few months. Replaced the battery and it ran again, but only for a short time. I think the wiring was part of the issue here. So I bought a new OEM full wiring harness as well as a few other cosmetic parts. I still need to rebuild the brakes, and want to rebuild the engine because hey why not I need something to do. After I get it running I will start with the body.

I have been working on my own motorcycles for about 6 years now, although all of my bikes have been Japanese bikes. From my first bike onward(02 CBR F4i, 06 R6, 04 ZX636, 06 GSXR1000 which I still ride, and then I got the 04 BeullXB12s.) So I am very unfamiliar with the Buell. Anyways, ill cut this essay off now and just say that I look forward to learning more about this bike and hope for some advice in the near future.

Here are the pictures:

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...psdw9axpqq.jpg

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...psp2ltvwn8.jpg

BTW the bullet casings and iron cross were from the previous owner and are not my kinda taste.

So.............
    .................what exactly is the issue with the bike?

As it sits right now, the issue keeping it from running is the wiring. I was just introducing myself is all, though. Ill post pictures as I go.

Just to be more specific it is the ignition system that is the main problem. I'm replacing the entire harness because I plan on putting a tach on the bike and many of the connections of the current harness have been chopped.

Welcome and good luck with your purchase. Looks like it needs a little TLC.

Welcome to buellxb.com

Hey Andrew, welcome to the forum! i reckon the bike looks pretty cool its a perfect bike to learn your repairing skills on and with all the knowledge on here you shouldn`t have to learn the hard way! Good luck and enjoy it! and what does it sound like with that muffler and do you know what it is?

Thanks man. It sounds terrible with the muffler that it has on right now. I have no clue what it is, no markings not even rivets where a logo plate would have been. Ill be changing that not sure about what I'm gonna go with yet. Probably whatever I can get a good deal on.

If you get a spare minute post some pics of the pipe up close or a video of it running if you want to know more about it? Either way have fun on your rebuild journey and keep us updated with progress!

once you get that harness sorted, I would replace every bearing, all the main sensors, the stator and the voltage regulator, painting and polishing as I went. with this bike it always tends to be the "little stuff" that gives problems.. you don't want to be chasing down little gremlins all day, just do it all at once and get it over with... I have seen used but good brake calipers for this bike for 30 bucks front, 20 bucks rear.. but you can rebuild them also if that's what you want to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast