Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windscreen removal and replacement question - grommet related...

Windscreen removal and replacement question - grommet related...

All,

Need some help with how best to remove the rubber grommets (with the receiving threaded barrels) from the stock windscreen in order to put them on a replacement windscreen for installation. Obviously, we're talking about the four "uppermost" bolts/grommet assemblies as the two lower ones fit into the fairing stay (and are no issue).

I just don't want to tear up the grommets if there's a good way to remove them and re-install them on the aftermarket windscreen.

You're talking about the well nuts? Just push them out, easy, totally salvagable. A little soap/water solution helps.

Yes they are called well nuts, usually they are salvageable like sparky said. I like to use new ones when I get a new windscreen, sometimes Lowe's has them but I usually order them in bulk on fleabay so I have them laying around. On fleabay you can get them with different colored bolt heads also, but because the two lower mounts are longer allen bolts you unfortunately can't use the colored ones there unless they are long enough.

Can someone provide a link to some on ebay that would work? (i.e. they are the right diameter, etc. - it would also help to know the ebay "listing description" for options :-) )

That would really help. I don't mind buying new ones....might be better not to mess with the ones in the oem screen.

Inactive
    jay: go back to ebaymotors and type in "buell windscreen nuts wellnuts" and several sets will come up. they're cheap and lots of choices. here is one # to get you started. 191092962229 is the ebay item #6a00d83451cb7469e2014e5ff4c57a970c-400wi.jpg

Yes you can use the aftermarket well nuts, but like I stated before you can't use the bottom two because of length. You would have to use the factory ones so the two at the bottom will not match if you buy the non factory stainless looking ones. Spiked ones are for "BUSA'S" only! Please don't ghetto up your beloved buell w spiked windscreen bolts..lol

Nah...I'd prefer to use my original bolts and keep the same "look" that I've had. I was just picking random ebay listings to ask about size and fitting.

I think I'll look at Lowe's first and go from there. If I can find M5 well nuts and appropriate rubber washers, I'll be set...

Thanks - I'll report back.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedchop View Post
    Spiked ones are for "BUSA'S" only! Please don't ghetto up your beloved buell w spiked windscreen bolts..lol
    Funny, cuz that's EXACTLY what my 03 had on it when I bought it

DSC_0029_zps000dd304.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast