Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Member from South Dakota

We do try hard to do that but its not always the response you want! ha ha ha it is good fun on here with lots of good advice mixed with a lot of girlie hair pulling face scratching hissy fits thrown in to keep it interesting!

I think your charging system(stator and maybe rectifier) aren't working properly. Start by testing your voltage at the battery terminals while the bike is running.
    Also check the 77connector behind your front pulley cover.
    Google both Buell XB charging system test and 77connector issues and you'll find a ton of info.
    Good luck

dimin, be careful with this motor dude. dudes have dropped a lot of change into these things and didn't get all that much in return. This thing just wasn't meant to rev.. you go for a high revving motor and its not going to live long.. look at the rr versions history. turbo gives a lot but its all on custom internals.. erik probably spent 20,000 getting it right..he blew several motors if memory serves.
    I was reading a thread a few years back and a buell factory guy that was involved in the rr program said that dollar for dollar best mod for the motor is drop some 12:1 (984cc) pistons in it and tune it.. that's what he said though.. probably good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloomshadow View Post
    dimin, be careful with this motor dude. dudes have dropped a lot of change into these things and didn't get all that much in return. This thing just wasn't meant to rev.. you go for a high revving motor and its not going to live long.. look at the rr versions history. turbo gives a lot but its all on custom internals.. erik probably spent 20,000 getting it right..he blew several motors if memory serves.
    I was reading a thread a few years back and a buell factory guy that was involved in the rr program said that dollar for dollar best mod for the motor is drop some 12:1 (984cc) pistons in it and tune it.. that's what he said though.. probably good advice.
    Thanks for the heads-up!... I guess no matter how hard you try, you just can't get rid of that Harley backbone...

I had planned on getting another bike and setting it up to race anyways... So maybe I should just try to squeeze all the N/A power I can out of this engine and use it as my daily. Have you guys heard anything either way about the big bore kits? I notice there are some 1250cc kits, but that almost doesn't seem worth it. Seen a lot of 1400cc+ kits that have interested me. Does anyone have one? or know anything about them? This is my first V-twin, so I'm not positive, but from what I hear you should be able to just swap the jugs, crank, and pistons right? There's no need to bore? Would a 1400cc kit and a cam and valve kit give you a noticeable gain for the money (which is several thousand dollars!)

you would get a couple of horse from a 1250.. but for less money you could gain more than that with the domed pistons I spoke of..throw in some head work and tuning you would get more.. but it gets to a point where you are going to need better internals and even those will stress out.. this motor from day one would rather peddle hard than peddle fast.. its just a lot of rotating and reciprocating mass, it doesn't want to shake up and down easily , it wants to tear itself apart.. but all that mass is what is making 84lbs of torque at 45mpg! its a good streetfighter motor for back roads and stop light to stop light... its all about bottom end torque and rich midrange in its class... that's what it is.. try to re-think the motor for top-end acceleration and you will spend big bucks and end up disappointed... you need a 1125cr for that or the 1190

So with those pistons you would be lowering the compression and adding a cam and valve upgrade... How does this effect longevity? Will the bike still be durable and reliable? Or will the power gain come with less reliability?

I would imagine lower compression would be a little easier on the internals... and the 984cc pistons I would imagine are probably somewhat lighter, creating less rotating mass?

Like I said... I have been toying with the turbo or big bore idea for a while... I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet, but I keep thinking in the back of my mind that the same money would get bigger gains on a different bike. I love the reliability of the bike! And even though it isn't the fastest thing ever, it is fun to take it out and run up 1st and 2nd gear to 80mph without ever having the front tire on the ground lol. I think I have won races against faster bikes just out of their sheer shock at my torque and traction.

Started snowing on the way home from work. So it was cold. Snowing. Dark. And the streets were wet, and starting to ice over. My buddy drove his race-tuned Mitsubishi Lancer Evo to work today. It has over 600hp and ridiculously wide tires! I beat him from a dig 3 times in a row!!! The bike did 1st gear power wheelies... IN THE SNOW!!!!!!! With a Micheline Pilot Street tire. No studs. Nothing!!! Can anyone say that have honestly ever seen any motorcycle on a street tire get enough traction on concrete in the snow to do a wheelie??? THAT'S NUTS!!! I got it all on my GoPro. Will have to see if I can figure out how to upload it somewhere and put a link on this page.

no, 984 pistons on a 1203 crank will raise compression to 12;1 so hot. you would have to run premium.. any time compression goes up, heat goes up on air cooled motors and redline stays the same but more power in the stroke. he was saying run 984 pistons or forged aftermarket versions, they are pretty cheap.. then just filter pipe and race map. When you do this there will always be increased wear but maybe you could shave the domes down on them to make only 11:1 that would be streetable.. a 984 is 10.5 :1 so I don't think it would be a problem.

benefit of the 1250 kit is that its still a low 10:1 compression so no change in that.. but the gain is only a few horse... and its not actually 1250... more like 1230 if memory serves.
    pistons like this
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1519490...chn=ps&lpid=82

look
    http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1176922446
    Last edited by Gloomshadow; 02-25-2016 at 01:13 AM.

put the video on youtube and link it here

Quote Originally Posted by Gloomshadow View Post
    no, 984 pistons on a 1203 crank will raise compression to 12;1 so hot. you would have to run premium.. any time compression goes up, heat goes up on air cooled motors and redline stays the same but more power in the stroke. he was saying run 984 pistons or forged aftermarket versions, they are pretty cheap.. then just filter pipe and race map. When you do this there will always be increased wear but maybe you could shave the domes down on them to make only 11:1 that would be streetable.. a 984 is 10.5 :1 so I don't think it would be a problem.

benefit of the 1250 kit is that its still a low 10:1 compression so no change in that.. but the gain is only a few horse... and its not actually 1250... more like 1230 if memory serves.
    Thanks. Wasn't sure what the stock compression was... For some reason I was thinking they were 12.5:1 from the factory... Must have been thinking of my Kawi or something. I will look into those cams! I already have the pipe and intake and a re-flashed ECU. Will just have to run her to the dyno and re-flash for the new tune.

I posted some links above

its not cams, just pistons..

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast