Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Buell XB high performance front isolator

Looks awesome man. Would you mind if I took the shared file and looked it over, possibly make some modifications to it to try and improve longevity? I have a buddy with a Lacun cnc mill so we could punch it out fairly easily I feel .

Banned
    Of course! Would be great if you will post any results.

Any further updates on this?

I understand the OEM front isolators have been on back order forever, but should be available shortly, apparently from a new vendor. HD likely won't continue to support Buells indefinitely, so it'd be nice to have an alternative if/when the factory mount is no longer produced.

Could you send me this?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Could you send me this?
    There is a link on first page for dowload. Check this post http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...l=1#post564620

I have a CNC mill

I would like to give your design a shot. I have a 3 axis CNC and Cad Cam capabilities.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    Recently my Buell XB12Scg 2009 front isolator rubber insert had been broken at 12000 miles. I did some investigation and realized that the front isolator rubber failure is very common problem. At the same time it is very hard to find new front isolator, is is relatively expensive and no one sells them and it looks like motorcycle needs this part almost each second maintenance (each 10000 miles).

So today I decided to design custom front isolator with replaceable rubber damper. I carefully took measurements from my old front isolator and created CAD model.

Here is the new high performance custom front isolator.

The new isolator consists of Front Engine Mount, Rubber Tubes, Bushing, Flange and Fasteners. Front Engine Mount is CNC machined aluminum part, I simplified this part as much as possible to decrease building difficulties, cost and machining time. Rubber tubes is just 1/2 diameter silicone, rubber or polyurethane rods you can by for cheap, you can use rubber tubes with different hardness to achieve the best performance. The rubber tubes are replaceable chip parts when you need to refresh it, you can buy different rubber tubes everywhere, I would recommend mcmaster.com . Bushing is lathe machined aluminum part. Flange is lathe machined or water-jet cut aluminum part. The fasteners are zinc plated steel socket screws from mcmaster.com.

Here are the pros you will have with this front isolator:

-No need to buy expensive and hard to find new front isolator each 10000-15000 miles to replace the old one, all you need is just to replace the cheap rubber tubes to maintain the front isolator;
    -No any unpredictable isolator broke in the middle of the road;
    -You can choose the rubber tube hardness and abrasion resistance to achieve better damping, feeling and performance;
    -No need to unscrew the front engine mount to maintain the new front isolator, no risks to damage the engine head while maintenance;
    -You can anodize the front engine mount bracket to achieve fancy custom color;
    -Wheelies lovers and stunt riders will love this isolator too, no need to replace the isolator after a couple hard wheelies.

So if anyone interested to produce and test these parts I'm open to share it with you, I can finish all drawings and specifications. If you have a CNC milling machine you can produce and sell these parts and I'm ready to buy one. Anyone interested, any guys with hobby CNC equipment, 5-o dro?

Banned
    This design needs some improvements, the rubber rods does not survive long time.

Maybe run a polyurethane rod instead? Or, just larger diameter tubes? I had to replace my isolator around 40,000 km, so I know I'll be doing it again one day. I like the concept. Have you tested your original design out and that's how you've come to the conclusion regarding the rubber rods not lasting a long time?

Banned
    Yes, I tested soft polyurethane rods, and they do not survive. Maybe I can try to add some hard polyurethane rods to the pack to increase durability.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 12-06-2017 at 10:57 PM.

anything new on this project?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast