Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warning: Aftermarket levers

Warning: Aftermarket levers

It has come to my attention after having trouble with my front brakes that apparently this is a problem.
    Just put a set of aftermarket levers on my XB, went for a test ride only to have my front brake lock up on me. After researching it turns out that the levers I bought which were advertised to fit my bike were milled to the wrong specs. The front brake lever was pushing my master cylinder in by roughly 1/8", therefore not allowing the master cylinder to return to a fully open position. Ie, it wasn't able to relieve brake pressure, and as the fluid in the caliper heated up and expanded it forced my brakes shut.
    I ended up milling material off of the lever where it makes contact with the master cylinder piston, and voila, problem fixed.
    Turns out I'm not the first person this has happened to, I just consider myself lucky that I wasn't going fast, unlike some others.
    Just don't want to see anyone get hurt.

!!!Perhaps this should be a sticky!!!

What brand of levers are they?

I was the guy among others this has happened to, search around here a bit before you click "BUY IT NOW" on fleabay. Unfortunately inferior cheap crap could cost you your life. Be careful and wear your gear, at least be protected if you have a get off!!!!

Happened to me too.

I though all the old stock "the Gixxer levers fit" was all gone! Guess not. They have made cheap aftermarket Buell specific levers for years now, couldn't tell you how to know the difference when ordering from China.

Buyer beware! Anything Chinese knock-off needs to be installed with every tiny detail checked!

This has happened to me as well. I've resigned myself to checking for a slight gap between lever and the master cylinder piston on any lever I install on any motorcycle.

Happened to me also, although it was a slow increase in pressure. I just looked pretty stupid revving the crap out of it to move it 20 feet into a fire station driveway.

Common knowledge. If you buy junk, you get junk. Tell me, when your balls jumped into your belly after your brake locked up, were you thinking about the few bucks you saved? I know it's hard to see the difference between knock offs and a set of ASVs, but can you tell the difference now?

Just purchased black OEM levers for XB12s online waiting for new bar and clamps to arrive then doing the mod change im glad I stuck with original levers.

I've had it happen with original levers to. Just check for a slight gap between the lever and the piston after installation.

I had this happen to me as well. But the aftermarket levers were on the bike when I bought it. A few days later when I was riding it to work, the front brake locked up on my way into work. I then bought some stock levers off of Ebay.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast