Thread: Running a XB12 muffler on my XB9

Running a XB12 muffler on my XB9

This is a 2003 XB9R. I have the XB12 muffler installed and the bike runs well. I know the XB12 muffler has the interactive exhaust valve and the XB9 is not equipped for that. This is a temporary solution..... Until I can afford a new aftermarket piece, should I leave the valve closed or wire it open. The only thing I can say is that is way too quiet, but I don't want sound at the cost of performance.
    I just want to see if anyone has done this or could make recommendations. Thanks in advance.

der xb9 schalldämpfer ist wie einer von der xb12 mit geschlossenem ventil. eine xb9 reagiert positiv auf eine nachgerüstete ventilsteuerung.

Wire it open.

closed.
    and ich its been a couple years at least. gonna still do this german crap?

Ich muss betonen, dass ECMSpy nicht verwendet werden. Es gehört zu den gefährlichsten der Programme, mit denen Sie Ihre Buell einzustellen.
    Last edited by theoctopus; 03-02-2016 at 05:50 AM.

I'm running a 12 muffler on my 9 with the valve closed. Runs great as is.

They sound better with the valve open, I didn't notice it running any different either way, but I didn't dyno it either. FWIW.

Ich use to troll forum so admins started turning his posts into self insulting german phrases. So for a few years now he posts in google translated german. Thought hed be over it by now

You can wire it open or find a spring that will keep it open at an ace hardware store. the exhaust will be freeflowing.Ride Safe. Jimi

Just to update everyone on my experience, I've been running it with the valve wired open for a couple of weeks now and only had a few days I could ride. from the seat of the pants I'd say with the valve open, it sounds a lot better than closed, Is dramatically faster on the low end and top end, but falls on its face in the midrange. There's been a couple of times I was passing a vehicle in top gear without down shifting and about halfway around would have to downshift due to slow roll on acceleration.
    Compared to the valve shut, I do think I'll leave it open. It'll work until I can afford an aftermarket muffler.
    Thanks for everyones recommendations.