Thread: new battery low voltage.......please help

couple weeks ago my bike started sputtering, i thought it was the plugs but i jst had it changed....next i thought my battery connections are loose but its not...so i drove the bike again after checking all that, got to my destination and when its time to go home my bike wont start....fuel pump is running and my oil is still full,i hit the start buttom but all i got is click....so my friend told me that ir might be ur battery, so i we jump start the bike and it started like new,but when i took out the jumper it started to loose power again...then it died. so i figured its the battery, so i got a new one and charged it overnight....the next day iinstalled the new battery and the bike started like a champ.i got to work safe and sound thinkin problem solve. but when its time to go home, halfway to my destination the bike died again... i checked the forums about it and most of it says it wiring...so i checked all my wirings under all the plastics, found no exposed wires at all but as i precaution, i wrapped it with elec tape.while i was checking all the wires, i was charging the battery again...they say install a voltmeter to see if ur battery is charging..so i did installed one and it reads 11.5 in engine off...12.5 volts when its on idle..13 less on 2500rpm...

i know its charging the battery coz the voltmeter goes up when i rev the bikw to 2-25k RPM. any idea why its doing this?? again the battery is 2 days old.

i attached some pics the first pic is key in ON position. 2nd pic, engine is running at idle.

any input can help...thanks in advance

Yeah, it seems like it's charging fine. After a ride, leaving the voltmeter on, have you checked it after a while to see if something is draining your battery down? You could have a wire shorting against the frame somewhere or something draining your battery after it's shut off.

Edit: Here's a good troubleshooting method BPG posted up a while back if you think you're battery is getting drained.
    Connect everything. Put a voltmeter on the battery. Note the rate at which the battery is losing voltage. Start pulling fuses one by one and not which fuse stops the battery from losing voltage. Start tracing that system thoroughly....

Having the same problem with my 05 XB12Scg,taken to dealer. I will pass along any info ASAP.

update.... checked all the wires and found out that voltage regulator plug is burnt...got that fixed and now the bike is running like a champ...

deleted... should have read the post and figured out the problem was solved before opening my big mouth...

Sorry it took so long to reply. Took bike to two different shops. Problem was bad regulator.