Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rattle in the dash

Rattle in the dash

Hey Guys
    New here. I have an 08 Uly and I have a bad rattle in the dash, about 99% sure it is the pin for the steering lock. It is metal to metal contact. It functions as designed, but when I'm at about 2500 rpm it rattles very audibly, very annoying! I have had the dash and lock cylinder out and there is a lot of free play in the pin. I was wondering if I am missing a plastic sleeve or something that covered the pin. I looked over the forum but couldn't find that anyone posted about it. so I'm guessing this is not a common issue. Any help would be much appreciated. Have already ridden a few times this year but our everyday season is still a bit off. I would like to have this figured out and fixed by the time it starts. Thanx in advance to anyone that has some helpful ideas.
    Last edited by sk8r78; 03-13-2016 at 10:03 PM.

First of all welcome to the forum mate! I am sorry to say i cant help you with this but someone will for sure but just a long shot check that your horn isnt loose mine rattled and nearly drove me nuts!! lol

I can start you with a simple check and a common occurrence.......I've had to tighten my horn a number of times.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...-what-is-it-!-!
    http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1148446344
    Last edited by Mope; 03-13-2016 at 08:58 PM.

Thanx Tone
    I have removed and replaced or repositioned everything, trying to resolve the rattle, prior to determining it was the steering lock pin.

Ok thats good then at least you know what you have to do then thats half the battle! This may sound dumb but its not the key/keyring is it that can transmit quite a sound at times! Have you got the ignition switch off the bike? pics?

Sorry it's not off now. I'll be sure to post up a pic or vid, next time I get into it. probably within the next few days. If I don't get some resolution here, my plan is to plasti-dip it.

Ok just found this its a known ulysses problem on certain years this chap machined a new pin and made a sleeve from teflon! sorted! 436995 (1).jpg 436998.jpg 436997.jpg 436996.jpg 434796.jpg
    Last edited by ToneTheMoan; 03-13-2016 at 10:17 PM.

Looks good ! Have a link to where the info is from ?

I dont know how to link sorry but its in the BadWeb forum`s archive, march 7th- 19th 2009! "Triple tree disassembly 06 to 08 exchange" Its under "big bad and dirty" which is the Ulysses adventure section. not much help sorry mate!

I had a rattle and traced it down to the horn touching the inside of the painted front fairing. Turned the horn around and now it faces to the engine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast