Thread: Not about a Buell but DIY related

Not about a Buell but DIY related

I generally do all the wrenching on the vehicles my wife and I own. However, every once in a while I'll jump on a $20 oil change plus tire rotation deal. Usually the local National Tire and Battery will run that deal. I don't think I'll EVER use them AGAIN!
    I went to change the oil on my wife's 2012 Chrysler Town and Country only to discovered that not only had the drain plug been rounded off and torqued down with an impact gun but the oil filter was never changed! I knew the oil filter hadn't been changed because the last time I changed the oil I chipped one of the prongs that insert into the oil filter cap. It's a cartridge type filter similar to what the 1125s use.
    Anyway, I hate this kind of thing.
    I don't like to be the guy that asks to see everything a tech is doing to my vehicle. I'd like to trust that a "professional" is doing the right thing but this situation just cements the fact that people suck. And that some services just need to be left in my own hands.
    I'm going to be "that guy" and call the place first thing in the morning and give them hell. A-holes charged me $25(with tax an BS) to ruin my drain plug(which cost me $10 to replace) and put 5 quarts of oil in a vehicle that calls for 6!
    Ugh!

Rant over.

Some places are like playing russian roulette with your vehicle, i mean who trains and checks these people? someone isnt doing their job properly and that isnt just the mechanic! I hate **** like that!! Hope you get some money back, good luck!

Mini van? Really? LOL!

This is why I do all my own work. I took a look at my brother's mazda 3 that was leaking oil recently and the drain plug was stripped. It's a $20 oil change for a reason...

Inactive
    THE inherent problem with quick-lube style oil joints is the shocking lack of sufficient oil pan drain time. a typical 5 quart vehicle oil pan takes minimum of 15 minutes to fully drain. the last 5 minutes of that time is when the real crud and debris drains out. if you think a quick-lube joint drains down that long then consider purchasing one of my exquisite daytona beach-front building lots on sale this month only for $5999.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 03-14-2016 at 02:02 PM.

John, ill take one of those exquisite lands! Haha!

One of my friends took his truck to Pep-boys....reg 90s f150 with a 5.0 motor. he complained to me of engine noise during turns after the oil change. Upon inspection they drained the oil and changed the filter, but only filled the filter with oil. Motor was toast, they wouldn't stand behind anything. I was surprised he made it to my place 10 miles away and it still ran.

It's not just quick lube places either. Sadly the dealer I work for (in the body shop)has done a couple dandy oil changes on my vehicles not to mention other customers. the techs that did them are since fired... but 4 times the put 6qts in my 5qt Taurus because they thought all 3.0l v6s took 6qts. 2 times 7 qts in my 6qt 5.4l because again they thought all 5.4l v8s take the same amount of oil. And 2 cross threaded drain plugs on my vehicles. .. so I now bring them my oil and filter, pick the tech and check it over before it leaves his stall.

BuellBagger- that sucks that you have to do all that when you're paying someone, someone that is supposedly a professional, to provide you with a product or service.
    What also sucks is to think about all the elderly, single moms, young drivers and general mechanically challenged that trust their vehicle to a supposedly reputable establishment and get ripped off every day!
    The whole mind set that "you get what you pay for" also sucks! It sucks that it is acceptable to receive a subpar product or service because you paid less for it. An oil change is an effing oil change. Doesn't take a individual with a specialized degree or training to perform a dam oil change. ESPECIALLY considering the fact that all the basic service needs for most vehicles that service stations work on are found on their computer systems.
    Does this mean that had I paid $200+ for an oil change and tire rotation at some fancy shmancy garage that everyone would be outraged because at that price you should receive a higher level of quality and attention to detail?
    If that's the case then it really sucks being a peasant these days!

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Restlessrustler View Post
    John, ill take one of those exquisite lands! Haha!

One of my friends took his truck to Pep-boys....reg 90s f150 with a 5.0 motor. he complained to me of engine noise during turns after the oil change. Upon inspection they drained the oil and changed the filter, but only filled the filter with oil. Motor was toast, they wouldn't stand behind anything. I was surprised he made it to my place 10 miles away and it still ran.
    damn it shawn. shipped mirrors to you this morning and just saw your note a moment ago. would have included your deed to your new ocean-front lot had i known of your interest earlier today. here's just a few of my satisfied daytona beach customers....12734119_10154051701342089_7514373864802697286_n.jpg

BuellBagger- that sucks that you have to do all that when you're paying someone, someone that is supposedly a professional, to provide you with a product or service.
    The only reason I tolerate it is because I work there and the only charge me $8 labor.....