Thread: XB12Scg 2009 Headlight/Blinker/Tail light "issues"

XB12Scg 2009 Headlight/Blinker/Tail light "issues"

I'll keep it simple:

Headlight:
    Currently not working at all. Last fall the Hi-beam was about as bright as my iphone light and the Low-beam would cut out randomly when I turned the steering wheel. So I bought an aftermarket HID (Tempest) to replace in the spring.

Blinkers: Work only when I turn the steering wheel to a certain position. Also don't work when it gets really hot out, but I believe that's due to a bad relay (correct me if I'm misled).

Tail Light: Have never had a problem before, but now does not work at all.

Outside of these 3 things, every other electrical component seems to work/run fine.

Things I have done:
    -I have checked the "lamp" fuse and it is fine.
    -Have a brand new aftermarket headlight kit to insure the bulbs are not the problem.

Things I have read and am going to try:

-Read that the ground connected to the triple clamp pulls out easy and could be the cause of my blinker/head light problem.
    -Will remove wind screen frame to look for loose/worn wires.
    -Might buy a voltage meter to trace the tail light issue.

Am I missing anything or on the right path? Are the ground cables up front connected to the tail light issue or should I look elsewhere? I'm mainly looking for some sage Buell advice from some veterans before I go electrical problem hunting.

Thanks!

You can get to the front ground easier by removing the headlight.

The rear is could have just gotten unplugged, check to make sure all 3 wires are plugged in. Then check the grounds in the tail.

You answered your own question. When you turn your handle bars thing stop working . Look at wires at steering neck they are probably broken or almost.

Thanks for the tips/confirmation. I did have to put new bolts in the tail section yesterday due to lack of thread-locker, and pulling it out of the garden shed could have bumped some wires out.

If I need to replace the blinker relay, is there a specific LED one I should look for?

Inactive
    all your issues are related to the 4-ground cluster on the front of your XB. look at front bottom of the bottom triple clamp OR the front bottom area of the steering neck. you will see multiple black wires connected together in 2 silver colored wire end eyelets. those are the grounds. one or more is loose or torn from the eyelet. DO NOT just look at them...remove the torx head screw, inspect, clean, wiggle for looseness, repair, reinstall.

Even the tail light is tied into the 4-ground cluster? I guess I'll find out since that is the first thing I intend to check.

Update:

Indeed the 4 ground cluster was all broken off, couple bucks at radio shack and I rewired them back in, everything works now!