Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still no fire in front jug... About done with it

Still no fire in front jug... About done with it

'07 12R – 18,000 mi.

I'll sum it up as briefly as possible:

Bike was last on the road Nov '14. When last running it exhibited signs of a bad CPS. Winterized it, didn't get back to it until summer '15. Tested the coil – it's good (didn't have oscilliscope for CPS). Went ahead and got new plugs. Still no fire in front cyl. Got really busy and didn't get around to buying/installing new CPS until Oct '15.

Last Nov. - new CPS is on. Fires right up! It was nasty that day so I let it idle in the garage until fan kicked on. Figured I'd get back to it when I was off work the next week, change the oil and RIDE OUT!...

Nope. Get back to it a week later and no fire up front. Went thru all the connectors. Found that the 77 was burnt up, smashed myself in the head with a hammer for not checking it before I got the CPS.

Last month I replaced the 77 with splicer reducers, threw a spankin' new OEM battery in, re-connected EVERYTHING – coil leads, plug wires, injector leads, etc. Hit the button anxiously expecting to get the ol' potato-potato-potato... Still no fire in the front jug.

ECMSPY is not allowing me to run diagnostics. It's telling me I must 'go off line'. WTF is that all about? I hate computers. The reason I figured it was the CPS originally was because the front plug sparked when running a test (being told to spark by ECM instead of CPS). I took the plug out and grounded it to the jug – no spark when hitting starter.

My only guess at this point is a faulty injector. She hasn't been ridden in well over a year which should be reason enough to go ahead and sell. I clearly don't have the time to work through a thus far unsolvable issue.

I understand that if ALL of the ignition components on an XB aren't 100% correct, you'll have issues. The plug wires are about 5 years old and have been repeatedly taken on and off through this process, so I'll go ahead and replace them. Never looked into a new injector and hoping that isn't the prob.

If anyone has any insight, I would be most grateful.

Happy St. Patty's and Slainte!

Let us know what happens when you replace those plug wires. Sounds like something is wrong with either the plug wire or the coil at the front cylinder.
    Have you checked your timing? You might want to perform a static timing check as well. Especially considering the fact that you've replaced the CPS.
    Coil issues aren't very common but it is Buell. I wouldn't out rule out anything.
    Good luck!

Inactive
    do this one important step before cutting it up for scrap("about done with it"): with fresh fuel and run switch off...turn on ignition switch, then red run switch, then wait for CEL to extinguish, and now crank to start. combustion in rear cylinder and not front? stop there. remove front spark plug. is it dry? you have a fuel delivery problem. is it moist with fuel? you have an ignition problem. according to your post you replaced components last fall and all was fine though you did not ride it...just prolonged idling. several months recurrence of same symptom. whatever it is i can assure you it's minor.

Lunatic - Thats the one thing I haven't done - fresh fuel. I thought you were always supposed to wait for CEL to burn out. Haven't taken the plug out since the last time it fully cranked. It was getting fuel.

Chikn - High Point? I'm over here just west of Hillsborough

Thanks for the input

Inactive
    I thought you were always supposed to wait for CEL to burn out.

indeed. that's what i said.

sounds like you may have a stuck injector (long storage = bad fuel). there is a local shop, here, that will rebuild injectors for about $15 each. it seems you are in PA, so i imagine there are shops that do the same thing there.

test as above and see if the plug is dry. if so, a stuck injector may be the issue.

Thanks all for the input. Definitely not an injector issue - finally got around to pulling plugs after several attempted starts (no fire in the rear this time either). They're fouled and need replacing. With throw in new plug wires as well (anyone had any luck with aftermarket wires?).

Haven't tried to get ECMSPY to work again. Time is limited right now.

Is there a quick option for draining the tank? I lost my manual a few years back in a move and never replaced.

If fresh fuel, new plugs and wires don't do it... I think it's going to become someone else's issue to work through.

I'd take it

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnmason View Post
    Thanks all for the input. Definitely not an injector issue - finally got around to pulling plugs after several attempted starts (no fire in the rear this time either). They're fouled and need replacing. With throw in new plug wires as well (anyone had any luck with aftermarket wires?).

Haven't tried to get ECMSPY to work again. Time is limited right now.

Is there a quick option for draining the tank? I lost my manual a few years back in a move and never replaced.

If fresh fuel, new plugs and wires don't do it... I think it's going to become someone else's issue to work through.
    OEM plug wire set works the best and fit correctly. there's no margin for error in the close confines from coil to spark plugs.
    look at bottom left rear of your frame. see where the fuel pump housing bolts into the frame assembly? see the large 9/16th inch hex nut? that is the tank drain.

Honestly, I'd go with a $4 harbor freight fluid pump instead of pulling the pump and draining the frame as long as you're hearing a good fuel pump priming before 'run'. Get as much old fuel out as possible and put clean fuel in.
    Sounds like a coil/plug wire issue to me now that the rear is cutting out too (assuming you've been in there wiggling **** around and you've got wet plugs).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast