Thread: Nailed it.....

Nailed it.....

Well, the other day I went for a quick ride and the front brake started feeling like crap. When applied, they would start OK but felt like they let off. My rotor is far from perfect. Replaced pads recently and figured I didn't break them in right or even brake fade.

Pissed, I rode home and parked the bike.

The next day I planned on rebuilding my forks and replacing the steering head bearings with All Balls Racing roller bearings. I went to take the wheel off and it was low on pressure. 15psi. I picked up a f***ing nail dead center in my front tire. The head on the nail was 3/8" or more. Second one on the same road in less than a year...

Rebuilt the forks, took the wheel down to the local shop to fit a new Rosso II. Great tire by the way. Changed the wheel bairings then looked over the brakes real good. Nothing looked wrong so I put it back together.

The nail was the problem, affecting the feel of the braking. The huge head was tore up. The tire was loosing grip for a split second causing the symtoms.

Love these easy fixes. Well, maybe not easy but quick to diagnose!

This was the first tire I didn't buy the $20 replacement road hazard insurance on. Would have been $30 to replace instead of $180. Tire, balance, road hazard ins, tax and CA fees. Ouch!