Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tail Light won't work

ToneTheMoan- Thanks for the advice, I haven't checked any of those locations, but will tonight!

I will definitely post an update after I find the problem (or create another)!

Cooter- It doesn't light up at all, when pressing rear or front break.

So I got a voltage meter tonight and tested the 3 tail light connections and this is what I came up with

Ground (vertical plug) -- Got a -12v reading when connecting to the positive terminal on the battery.
    Stop-- Got a -12v reading when connected to the negative battery terminal AND pushing the brake down. (seems right)
    Tail-- -12v reading when connected to the negative battery terminal.

I'm not sure if this really helps in diagnosing where the problem is, but it sounds like the ground is the issue right? (long day...can't think)

I'd like to add that I recently reattached the horn, it worked when I reattached it, but now doesn't work. I checked the fuse and it all looks good, could this have anything to do with the tail light issue?

Problem solved!

Realized I was an idiot, tested the "ground" wire with the "tail" wire and found I was getting power. Which narrowed the problem to the bulb/socket. The alligator clips seemed lose, so I bent them to be a little more snug and everything lite up!

Sounds like you found it. Awesome

As for the horn, does it have one wire or two? I forgot...

If it's a one wire connection it grounds through the bracket, take the bolt back off and clean all around it so you get a good connection to ground. You can test continuity (don't press button) by turning the voltmeter to the "Ohm" setting (lowest scale) and putting one lead on the metal part of the horn and the other on the battery (-). you should see very close to 0. The wire should go to (+12V) when you press the button.

If it's a two wire connection, disconnect the connector at the horn, press the horn button and test the connector. one is ground, the other is (+12v). you probably need to wiggle the connector...

It has 2 wires connecting. The horn worked when I did the initial test drive after all this wiring nonsense I have been doing so I'll wait till it doesn't before I take everything out.

I also may have tested the horn with the key off, sense the horn was off the last 2 years I don't know what key positions the horn works/doesn't work at. Soooo possibly user error???

I remember telling someone to check the socket. Good to hear you found it.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaneb View Post
    It has 2 wires connecting. The horn worked when I did the initial test drive after all this wiring nonsense I have been doing so I'll wait till it doesn't before I take everything out.

I also may have tested the horn with the key off, sense the horn was off the last 2 years I don't know what key positions the horn works/doesn't work at. Soooo possibly user error???
    horn is a dual wire unit. it has a pair of male blade connectors. black feed wire is ground...colored wire is positive. only works with key in on position. key on....test light to ground...test light probe inserted into colored wire end...press horn button. if test light activates it is faulty horn. if light does NOT illuminate it is either the switch or the ground wire at the steering neck/bottom triple clamp area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12