Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tail Light won't work

Tail Light won't work

2009 XB12Scg

Tail light won't turn on under any circumstance. I've put in a new bulb, pulled the connection out and cleaned it, checked the ground (by the battery), checked the "Lamp" fuse and still can't find the problem.

Anything I'm missing? It worked fine last fall.

Wiggle all the wires leading up to and into the light to see if that brings it to life as you may have an internal break somewhere and as mad as it sounds did you test the bulb first? as i have bought brand new bulbs before that dont work!!

So tail light does not intensify/brighten with the front brake lever and rear brake lever?
    Or does it not turn on at all?
    If it doesn't turn on at all you might want to inspect the rear harness for a bit of chaffed wiring.

I have tried 3 different bulbs (2 brand new) with no luck. It won't light up under any circumstance: front brake, back brake, running light, parking light (Ignition all the way forward). The wires going into the harness don't have any wearing.

I think at this point I'll try getting a voltage meter and start tracing the wires back to find the source of the problem. I'm still open to any suggestions though as this is driving me crazy with the weather getting nice!

Hey i know what you mean its so bloody annoying! but as nothing works it has to be power wire or earth wire so try the wiggle test first it has to be an internally broken wire, also the wiser members on here say dont just check the earth pull it apart and clean all the connections thoroughly and check its on bare metal if you recently painted anything!

Yeah I'm going to try some serious wiggling when it's dark tonight so I can see for sure if it lights up at all (not easy to hold the front break and check the light at the same time).

I unscrewed the ground and checked for anything broken yesterday and didn't find anything.

look at back of socket and make sure it is touching the bulb you might have to remove the whole light assembly. I removed the body plastic and could see it.

Yeah I did check that as well, they were both touching and didn't really need cleaned but I did anyway.

I like all these suggestions, will eventually get to one I overlooked!

Good luck with it mate and when you solve the problem post the result on here to help others that may have/get the same problem! Check the wires right where they enter (underneath) the fuse box too as they can get a bit knocked about at times where they bend! mind you the problem may be the power to the switchgear so check the wires between the ignition/steering lock up to the switchgear and check inside that for any problems too! Then have a cup of tea!! lol get a circuit tester with the sharp point that just pierces the outer sheath and use that help a bit!shopping.jpg

So you say it's the brake light that doesn't work when you pull he lever, right?
    Does it work when you use the rear brake? Yes?
    If both of those are true, pull the wires off the switch at the front brake lever. Touch them together. Does the light turn on now? Yes? Then replace that brake switch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast