Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 08' XB12X won't start - New ECM and Fan

Question 08' XB12X won't start - New ECM and Fan

Hi All,

I could really use some help getting my ride back on the road. Here is the full story. My bike (08' Uly) started stalling while riding. Happened in a corner and when it came back the rear tire grabbed hard and I almost lost it. So, after a ton of testing I finally did the screw driver tap test on my ECM. Sure enough it would stall every time I tapped the ECM. So I ordered a replacement from ST. Paul HD via Ebay. Winter started so I figured I would just take the opportunity to do a bunch of work on it. Here is a list of what I've done:
    • Rotated the motor
    • Changed the rear rocker cover gasket
    • Double checked torque on all top of motor bolts
    • Rotated motor back up and double checked torque on all bolts
    • Installed a new fan
    • Traced all wiring back to confirm no opens or corrosion
    • Retaped wiring harness
    • Replaced clutch cable, but the new one snapped off so HD is sending me another
    • Changed plug wires
    • Installed a new ECM
    • Roughed up ground terminals and reinstalled ground leads
    • Double checked all electrical connections
    • Bought activation for ECMspy
    • Fectched and stored ECM values and then flashed (Software said no value change)
    • Ran these test on ECMspy: Fuel pump (pass), Front and Rear Coil (pass), Front and Rear Injector (Pass), Fan (Pass)
    • Performed a TPS reset - The Key on, Kill Switch on, Throttle on/off 3 times method

The bike is fully reassembled (minus the clutch cable I'm waiting on from HD). It will not start. I'm in neutral, I hear the pump prime, but it just won't run for more then a half second. I can get it to run if I flutter the throttle, but it sputters and backfires and dies the instant I stop. I bought the activation for ECMspy thinking it would help, but so far it hasn't. AFV is 100% and the EG0 is 100%. Here are links to my saved map, eeprom, and logfile from ECMspy: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0ye5mn60h...SePgI-LZa?dl=0. If you need screen shots instead of the files let me know and I'll post them.

Here is a video I made that shows the problem: https://youtu.be/xH8Uw2Q3-JQ

Any help would be greatly appreciated! My new tires came today and I want to be out carving the canyon roads not staring at my bike in the garage.

Figured out the issue. Bad pulse width values to the front injector. Not sure how to fix it. Looks like HD sent me the wrong ECM. They sent me the BUE2D. I plugged the faulty original in and the bike started up. Plugged it into ECMspy and it says it's BUE1D. Anyone know what modifications I need to make to the BUE2D to make it work? I tried fetching and reading the BUE1D settings, but ECMspy won't let me read it without paying more money. Already out $72 to register to read the BUE2D that HD sent me.

First, thank you for providing the logs and eeprom data. It takes much of the guesswork and 20 questions out of the equation!

IAC could be acting up because it never budges! Also, CDiag5[6] is set, so that confirms some issue. Be sure the connector is plugged in and that there are no shorts.

The Fuel map Load/RPM axis don't have the extra granularity I would expect of a BUE2D ECM. Technically, it should probably run with the current maps (because the axis matches the actual mapping), but I don't recall seeing a BUE2D with that axis layout. Same for the Timing Table RPM axis.

Load is funky on occasion, but I can mostly correlate it to when I think you are hitting the starter button to keep the engine running, or when the engine is barely running.

Quote Originally Posted by ReadyXB View Post
    First, thank you for providing the logs and eeprom data. It takes much of the guesswork and 20 questions out of the equation!

IAC could be acting up because it never budges! Also, CDiag5[6] is set, so that confirms some issue. Be sure the connector is plugged in and that there are no shorts.

The Fuel map Load/RPM axis don't have the extra granularity I would expect of a BUE2D ECM. Technically, it should probably run with the current maps (because the axis matches the actual mapping), but I don't recall seeing a BUE2D with that axis layout. Same for the Timing Table RPM axis.

Load is funky on occasion, but I can mostly correlate it to when I think you are hitting the starter button to keep the engine running, or when the engine is barely running.
    Thank you ReadyXB.

Here is a link to the BUE1D EEPROM from my faulty original ECM, https://www.dropbox.com/s/9044kc2eiw...-1524.xpr?dl=0. I can't view it because I have the BUE2D activation. Does anyone here have software to compare my BUE2D and BUE1D EEPROM? I'm looking for info to make alterations to the BUE2D so it has the same settings as the original ECM. The bike starts and runs on the old faulty ECM, just stalls randomly.

Quote Originally Posted by Isique79 View Post
    Looks like HD sent me the wrong ECM. They sent me the BUE2D.
    I would rather have the BUE2D since it is a later revision. Not an issue at all if the correct EEPROM image is present.

Plugged it into ECMspy and it says it's BUE1D. Anyone know what modifications I need to make to the BUE2D to make it work? I tried fetching and reading the BUE1D settings, but ECMspy won't let me read it without paying more money.
    You will need a known-good stock BUE2D eeprom image. But check your IAC first.

You can still read and "Burn Into ECM" full eeprom images using ECMSpy for Mono even without having to purchase an additional license. Also, you can do full edits on any eeprom using Tunerpro RT v5 with the correct .xdf file loaded. But you must not load a BUE1D eeprom into a BUE2D ecm (or vice-versa), regardless of the program used!

Thank you ReadyXB.

Here is a link to the BUE1D EEPROM from my faulty original ECM, https://www.dropbox.com/s/9044kc2eiw...-1524.xpr?dl=0. I can't view it because I have the BUE2D activation.
    You can view full/edit details of any eeprom using TunerPro RT v5.

Does anyone here have software to compare my BUE2D and BUE1D EEPROM? I'm looking for info to make alterations to the BUE2D so it has the same settings as the original ECM.
    Comparing across different ECM types is not easily done, though it has been done. You can run difference reports in Tunerpro, but it is intended for comparing layouts from the same ECM type (the same applies to ECMSpy's "My Maps" web feature). Fuel/timing maps are much easier.

I'm looking for info to make alterations to the BUE2D so it has the same settings as the original ECM.
    As a whole, this is not fully possible due to EEPROM layout differences. But most items can be manually compared.

Quote Originally Posted by ReadyXB View Post
    I would rather have the BUE2D since it is a later revision. Not an issue at all if the correct EEPROM image is present.

You will need a known-good stock BUE2D eeprom image. But check your IAC first.

You can still read and "Burn Into ECM" full eeprom images using ECMSpy for Mono even without having to purchase an additional license. Also, you can do full edits on any eeprom using Tunerpro RT v5 with the correct .xdf file loaded. But you must not load a BUE1D eeprom into a BUE2D ecm (or vice-versa), regardless of the program used!
    Sounds good ReadyXB. I will double check the leads to my IAC [87A & 87B]. I won't load the BUE1D to a BUE2D ECM.

ReadyXB, I checked the IAC and it is bad. Do you know if it's possible to use a Sportster IAC. It's $50 less. I was thinking about trying it. They look almost identical. The pintle has a slightly different shape, but I could always install the pintle from my bad IAC. I think the IAC motor is bad. It will extend the pintle, but won't withdraw it. I performed all the cleaning steps listed.

Inactive
    ReadyXB, I checked the IAC and it is bad. Do you know if it's possible to use a Sportster IAC. It's $50 less. I was thinking about trying it. They look almost identical. The pintle has a slightly different shape, but I could always install the pintle from my bad IAC. I think the IAC motor is bad. It will extend the pintle, but won't withdraw it. I performed all the cleaning steps listed.
    not to hijack but to help: the sportster IAC assembly is different. the part # for the 08-10 XB IAC assembly is P0282.5AA the part is now NLA meaning obsolete. list was $177 as i recall. i have a few new-in-box ones if you can't source a new replacement. $135 and a few bucks freight if it helps.

ReadyXB, I checked the IAC and it is bad
    IAC is controlled by the ECM. Since we have some suspicion that the EEPROM contents (or at least the maps) may be incorrect , I would hate for you to purchase a new IAC only to find out it also doesn't work. Any luck locating a stock BUE2D eeprom to flash in?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast