Thread: 08 XB12R crank an upgrade to the 07 XB12R?

08 XB12R crank an upgrade to the 07 XB12R?

Pretty sure my 07 has scissored the crank (havent torn it apart yet) but I seen somewhere that the 08 has a stronger crankpin than the 07's.

Does anyone know about this swap and or where I might find the parts aside from ebay.

TIA

I bought one from Surdyke a couple of years back for my sportster. I believe it is the same crank that is also used in the XR1200.
    Xr crank: 23999-08. I would double check that, but I'm pretty sure that is the right crank.

Quote Originally Posted by cjmech View Post
    Pretty sure my 07 has scissored the crank (havent torn it apart yet) but I seen somewhere that the 08 has a stronger crankpin than the 07's.

Does anyone know about this swap and or where I might find the parts aside from ebay.

TIA
    I haven't done the swap, but I seriously looked into it when my 07 Uly crank failed a few years ago. I wound up installing a used 09 engine, ECM and wiring harness instead.

Yes, the 08-up crank has a larger 1.5 inch diameter crank pin vs. the 1.25 inch crank pin on the earlier cranks. It also has stronger connecting rods. The 08 crank has different splines on the end so you also have to use a new 08 primary sprocket and bolt (the 07 uses a nut). I believe you also have to replace the left side crank bearing. The 08 crank doesn't have a timing mark on it (different ignition system) so you should mark it to match the 07 crank before you install it so you can set the ignition timing.

AFAIK, you can still get the parts from Harley. The crank is around $700 last time I checked.

Dark Horse Crank Works helped develop the better crank for the XBRR; they can help you out with the details on the swap.

I have a new in the box 12 crank that would fit your 07. $250
    Also have complete bottom ends for $400. Just swap your top end which is oil & $100 in gaskets.
    Change your oil more often, get another oil pump cause the crank may have failed because the pump wore out.
    Could get you a used motor as well. Paul & few others have them ready to roll. $1200 or so

Yes the XR crank is the 08+ XB12 crank.

Pm a phone number and I'll get back to you. I've done all kinds of swaps

Darkhorse will charge around $1200 to split your current cases, minus top end, and install a brand new 08 crank. Ship them your bottom end and you'll get it back in like new condition with the needed rotor, sprocket and hardware.
    When my crank went this is the route I took. Just make sure that IF you believe anything else MIGHT be wrong with your bottom end(transmission?) that you have that inspected at the same time. Otherwise you'll be redoing all the work you paid for because your transmission was going out at the same time as your crank.
    Don't ask how I know all this.
    Honestly, I would just swap out the entire bottom end. That way you upgrade your oiling system and your crank all at the same time. That's more bang for your buck as far as I'm
    concerned.
    Wish someone would have given me that advice when my crank went out 4yrs ago!
    But I didn't belong to this forum back in those days!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    Honestly, I would just swap out the entire bottom end. That way you upgrade your oiling system and your crank all at the same time. That's more bang for your buck as far as I'm
    concerned.
    Wish someone would have given me that advice when my crank went out 4yrs ago!
    But I didn't belong to this forum back in those days!
    Well, you really can't just swap out the whole bottom end for an 08 because of the different ignition system. The 08 has notches on one of the flywheels and a crankcase mounted trigger. The earlier bikes have the timing sensor in the cam case and the timing "cup" on the end of one of the cams. There's no way to fit the 07 timing setup to the 08 engine because of the different oil pump. It's possible the 08 timing signal could be used for the 07 ECM, but I suspect it's more difficult than that.

My crank problem showed up as a BAD knock. When I drained the oil, it looked like metal flake paint. (BTW- whatever you do with your bike, THOROUGHLY clean the swingarm oil compartment. It took a lot of work to get all the filings out of mine.)

When I tore the engine down I found both cylinders badly scored, I suspect from shrapnel thrown off by the rod bearings. I was going to have to replace both cylinders and pistons, the crank assembly, and the oil pump at a minimum. I found a good, low mileage 2009 engine on eBay, complete with oil cooler, lines, ECM, and wiring harness (from an XB12R) for just a little more money than the PARTS would have cost to rebuild my engine. I soon determined it would be more trouble than it was worth to try to adapt the R wiring harness to my X bike, so I spent another ~$330 for a new 2009 XB12X wiring harness. Everything was plug-and-play after that, and it's been a great engine.

I'd also recommend sending your bottom end to Darkhorse if you decide to do the crank swap. There is a lot of "fiddly" work to swapping cranks (particularly selecting one of 4 possible sleeves to give the proper fit on the right side bearing) and I'm sure it would be good to have experience at doing it. I believe Dark horse will also align-bore your crank bearing bores as part of the work which should make it better-than-factory.

I guess I should have stated that after swapping bottom ends, boring out the cylinders, gapping the rings, setting the squish and reassembling the motor that a new ECM and wire harness would be necessary to run the bottom end. BUT I wasn't thinking that technically.
    Anyway, I'm sure I missed a ton of technical SH1T that goes with swapping out a bottom end. However, knowing what I know about UMDterp13 I'm sure he wouldn't lead anyone down a dead end and would probably guide any member willing to listen through the swap process he suggested.
    Missing little things is the whole probable with any inexperienced individual diving head first inio an engine rebuild. Had I known then what I know now I would have done exactly what Hughlysees did and just swap to a KNOWN better motor.
    That's definitely the most cost effective and quickest way to get back on the road.
    Rebuilding an XB motor isn't difficult. However, it can get really costly if you don't plan accordingly.
    Research and plan your attack.
    That's the best advice you can get from any of this!