Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone 08-09 using IDS ECU?

Quote Originally Posted by mpkopish View Post
    None of the mufflers except the stock one do....Problem is that IDS does not have any free flow exhaust with an exhaust valve except the stock so I took a wild stab at it and hoped it would run good. It does run good thru out the RPM range except 5500 and above. And I don't want to give up the exhaust valve because I like the low end grunt which after that fact even has more low end grunt with the combination....
    I should say offer a map that includes the exhaust valve for a free flowing exhaust other than a hawk (I believe)

Special Ops. mufflers use the valve.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Special Ops. mufflers use the valve.
    not familar with that one...is it an open chamber with packing on the outer parimeter like the drummer or chambers? I might ask IDS to remap my ECM to match special ops if they are similar. Problem is that that Xpipe flows extremely well when both the valve is open an other sidde is flowing its a 2.5 diameter xpipe....I am tweeking the outlets now...once finished I will send a sound bite and soon will dyno to see the true performance.....Thanks,

Theres a lot going on here,

You may feel a dip in power about 5500 for some reason, BUT the "tune" (whether IDS or not) won't make enough difference to "feel" (regarding the exhaust valve on or off). You would need very stable, repeatable dyno testing to even see any difference. In my experience butt-dynos are notoriously un-calibrated and only start to notice a 20% difference of HP. You're dealing with about 3% according to the stock charts. Louder just feels faster to us. With your valve closing at 5500, maybe you just think its slower?
    You should really get some empirical evidence before smashing it with the tune-hammer. Have you done any testing at all? Timeslips? Compared your dyno chart with the stock one?

IDS did not make a custom tune for you. Unless you went to their facility and spent extensive time on their nice dyno, or have sent massive amounts of datalogged info... They gave you one of their quality existing tunes for a muffler they believed was similar to the thing you made.

These bikes do taper off at higher rev range, they do not build power slowly increasing like an I-4 engine. They just won't. For the same reason an I-4 style motorcycle engine can't match the low RPM torque of the heavy swinging metal of this V-twin. Think 18,000 rpm Indy car vs, diesel tractor puller.

The exhaust valve is an ECM Parameter, not a tune difference. You can find it using ECMDroid under "ECM Parameters" Interactive Exhaust Valve (IEV). IMO, with a stock muffler I would leave it active. There is a noticeable dip on the dyno graph at 4500 when they are wired 100% open on a stock tune. With any other muffler (or muffler mod), I would turn it off. Once the exhaust has been made to flow more, what the heck could be the point to adding a restriction?? Please do NOT start another stupid thread on exhaust back pressure....ugh.

Buelltooth is not a tuning program, it is brand of communications link between your bike and usually ECMDroid via a bluetooth signal.

Or you can spend your time and money to try to re-invent whats already been successfully done many many times before by professionals with degrees using very expensive equipment.

You can tune any Buell ECM (including one programmed by IDS) with the ECMSpy, TunerPro, or ECMDroid. Theres no "locked out" the Buell DDFI ECM's are jail-broken. IMO, ECMSpy and TunerPro were both built in mind of building fuel injection programs from scratch. If you have a turbo, cams, headwork, or all of the above, use one of those programs. ECMDroid is meant for diagnostics, datalogging and installing pre-existing tunes.
    However, you are able to "tune" your bike with ECMDroid using your Buelltooth bluetooth dongle by utilizing a O2 sensor (wideband), datalogging the info, and using the VE analyses section of MegaLog Viewer to build a fuel map with whatever target AFV's you wish. I have had very good luck doing that with rock-solid AFR's and almost no correction factor from the ECM.
    If you like the way the bike runs now, I would highly recommend saving the IDS tune from the ECM in a safe place before you start tweaking anything. Or just put it on the shelf and e-bay a stock ECM to monkey with, they are interchangeable between XBs, Uly's and even 1125's (XB-12's have to have the center white wire for the IEV if you still like that wormhole, and all '03-'07 are DDFI-2, while '08-'10 are DDFI-3).

In My Opinion

"diesel tractor puller" both of my buells are crying !

[QUOTE=Cooter;608482]Theres a lot going on here,

You may feel a dip in power about 5500 for some reason, BUT the "tune" (whether IDS or not) won't make enough difference to "feel" (regarding the exhaust valve on or off). You would need very stable, repeatable dyno testing to even see any difference. In my experience butt-dynos are notoriously un-calibrated and only start to notice a 20% difference of HP. You're dealing with about 3% according to the stock charts. Louder just feels faster to us. With your valve closing at 5500, maybe you just think its slower?
    You should really get some empirical evidence before smashing it with the tune-hammer. Have you done any testing at all? Timeslips? Compared your dyno chart with the stock one?

IDS did not make a custom tune for you. Unless you went to their facility and spent extensive time on their nice dyno, or have sent massive amounts of datalogged info... They gave you one of their quality existing tunes for a muffler they believed was similar to the thing you made.

These bikes do taper off at higher rev range, they do not build power slowly increasing like an I-4 engine. They just won't. For the same reason an I-4 style motorcycle engine can't match the low RPM torque of the heavy swinging metal of this V-twin. Think 18,000 rpm Indy car vs, diesel tractor puller.

The exhaust valve is an ECM Parameter, not a tune difference. You can find it using ECMDroid under "ECM Parameters" Interactive Exhaust Valve (IEV). IMO, with a stock muffler I would leave it active. There is a noticeable dip on the dyno graph at 4500 when they are wired 100% open on a stock tune. With any other muffler (or muffler mod), I would turn it off. Once the exhaust has been made to flow more, what the heck could be the point to adding a restriction?? Please do NOT start another stupid thread on exhaust back pressure....ugh.

Buelltooth is not a tuning program, it is brand of communications link between your bike and usually ECMDroid via a bluetooth signal.

Or you can spend your time and money to try to re-invent whats already been successfully done many many times before by professionals with degrees using very expensive equipment.

You can tune any Buell ECM (including one programmed by IDS) with the ECMSpy, TunerPro, or ECMDroid. Theres no "locked out" the Buell DDFI ECM's are jail-broken. IMO, ECMSpy and TunerPro were both built in mind of building fuel injection programs from scratch. If you have a turbo, cams, headwork, or all of the above, use one of those programs. ECMDroid is meant for diagnostics, datalogging and installing pre-existing tunes.
    However, you are able to "tune" your bike with ECMDroid using your Buelltooth bluetooth dongle by utilizing a O2 sensor (wideband), datalogging the info, and using the VE analyses section of MegaLog Viewer to build a fuel map with whatever target AFV's you wish. I have had very good luck doing that with rock-solid AFR's and almost no correction factor from the ECM.
    If you like the way the bike runs now, I would highly recommend saving the IDS tune from the ECM in a safe place before you start tweaking anything. Or just put it on the shelf and e-bay a stock ECM to monkey with, they are interchangeable between XBs, Uly's and even 1125's (XB-12's have to have the center white wire for the IEV if you still like that wormhole, and all '03-'07 are DDFI-2, while '08-'10 are DDFI-3).

Thanks for all of the feedback....As a side note, I have built many harleys and jap bikes over the last 20 years and did my own tuning on carburetors as well as fuel injection as well as own Powervision for my current Harleys. Over the years I have played with different exhaust systems to get different results...there is a sacrafice for everything...bottom end for top end, top end for bottom end. have looked at many exhaust systems for the buell and have not seen anything that jumps out to me as a great system...They all seem similar is some respects. I am going to dyno my Buell in the next couple weeks and do some comparisons. I believe my design (some borrowed from flowmaster mufflers design) will work well and provide good dyno #s. The xpipe is a proven gainer in both horsepower and torque. And the way I designed the chambers i believe it works well with the exhaust valve. Proof is in the pudding as we call it and I might be wasting my time or might have stumbled on something...Either way I won't know till I try....As a side note-I spoke to Tim at IDS and he said if I need some tweeking on my map he will do it for an additional $50.00...Thanks again for all of the input!!!

Question regarding wide band o2 sensor setup....if i convert it to a wide band o2 sensor is the general consensus to leave it narrow band set up or definitely go wide band and is setup complex or relatively straight forward. And, will I have to run a sensor on the front as well or is the stock setup off the rear sufficient? Furthermore, if wideband is the way to go do you have a part # and brand preference...denso/bosch/etc? Thanks,

I use an Innovate DLG-1. You can put in a single WB sensor in the stock rear position, use it for tuning (CL off), and then use it when normal running (CL on) with it's narrow band (NB) emulator without physically changing it back, so it's ready to tune again if you change something.

I have welded a bung on a set of headers to simulate the 2010 dual O2 set-up and put dual WB on it. I'm glad I did, but in hindsight not really worth the trouble for a non-racing/ non-money making effort.

I really like that Innovate DLG-1...however, spent a ton of money on my power vision for my other bike and trying to make this the low dollar bike. Can I make the most out of the ecmdroid, ecmspy or tunerpro? Or are they not compatible to work with a wide band o2? Let me know...also, just finished the muffler and added the ebc brake rotor and Double sintered pads...brakes nice now and sounds great! This Ulysses only has 17K miles and was babied with all service records...
    http://<iframe class="restrain" titl...="0"></iframe>

" IMO, ECMSpy and TunerPro were both built in mind of building fuel injection programs from scratch. If you have a turbo, cams, headwork, or all of the above, use one of those programs. ECMDroid is meant for diagnostics, datalogging and installing pre-existing tunes.
    However, you are able to "tune" your bike with ECMDroid using your Buelltooth bluetooth dongle by utilizing a O2 sensor (wideband), datalogging the info, and using the VE analyses section of MegaLog Viewer to build a fuel map with whatever target AFV's you wish."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast