Thread: Front master cylinder sticking

Front master cylinder sticking

Starting to have the front brake lever stick. As in not applying the brakes. Lever pulls in a tad sticks and I have to pull harder then the piston feels like it pops loose then the brakes engage. Not smoothly either. Brakes work fine once the master cylinder plays along.

Was looking at swapping to an aftermarket MC and levers. Is the original MC worth rebuilding or better off to get an aftermarket one or swap to a ZTL2 setup, if I can even find one.

I did just recently rebuild the forks. Didn't see any issues, brakes worked fine afterwards as well. Did the forks in Feb. Brakes just started acting up about 3 days ago.

Victim is an 03 9R

Do you have aftermarket levers?
    Have you tried bleeding the brakes?
    When was the last time you changed the fluid?
    I would flush the fluid and perform a good brake bleed before going head first into buying any parts.
    Let us know how the brakes respond after changing the fluid and bleeding the system.

Inactive
    for your own safety and well-being DO NOT CONTINUE TO RIDE YOUR FIREBOLT until this is resolved. your brake system is suffering from corrosion and age induced failure. strongly advise having both the master cylinder and caliper rebuilt or replaced by a competent tech who understands nissin-brand motorcycle brake components. both components rebuildable and required parts/kits available but i'll tell you right up front both are tedious and intricate, both must be smoothly honed, and not a job i would recommend for the novice.

^^^^^^^^^^ what John said very tedious and not for the novice.

Never thought about age induced corrosion. Bike only has 6550 miles. We bought it new. Never changed the fluid. Was just thinking about digging into the bike mainly due to the age.

I do not have aftermarket levers. I want to change levers as it is bent. Not from me. Been that way a long time. Not sure how either. Only dropped it on the left side and broke the mirror off.

Any known good upgrades for the early bikes?
    I have the service manual as well.

The corrosion makes sense. If I grab a handful of brakes its fine. Slowly gradual pressure is when it sticks.

The broken turn signal lense was me over tightening it after changing the bulb.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rb70383; 03-30-2016 at 08:48 PM.

Have you tried lubricating the lever itself? Sounds like it is sticking? Also, your brake fluid is probably nasty and needs changing...

Brake fluid should be changed annually.
    I think yours is WAY over due.
    And what lunatic suggested about corrosion is most likely spot on.
    Brake fluid isn't expensive and flushing/bleeding the brakes isn't difficult.
    Try a fluid change/flush. Make sure you bleed the system real well and see if your brakes work as they are suppose to.
    Good luck

I will definitely do the fluid. Cant believe I never though of that. I really should have known better. Never had it happen all of the sudden. I forget just how much age alone can affect things. Myself included lol I wont be able to do anything till next week. It'll sit till then. It will also give me time to fix the loose fuel pump connector.