Thread: ECMSPY woes

Angry ECMSPY woes

Hello,

I am having shut off issues while riding the xb12s after an hour or so. Reading other forums sections the issue points to the fuel pump. I "donated" money for rights to download and use the ECMSpy. I was hoping to use the active testing features to test the fuel pump and other aspects of the bike. While executing the active test for fuel pump, I can hear the pump activating and see a progress Windows pop up. Minutes later, the progress window disappears and I cannot find any sort of test results. Does any one have experience with this issue?

It's not a smart diagnostic test. All it does is turn on the fuel pump so you can test fuel pressure with a gauge.

Inactive
    Reading other forums sections the issue points to the fuel pump.

and what are the "issues" other than shutting off after 1 hour of continuous running? a dying fuel pump gives tell-tale signs of it's imminent demise. they're subtle but they exist.

What year is your bike?

Kohmeo,

I have a 2004 Buell Xb12s.

Lunaticfringe,

Prior to shutting off the bike start sputtering, the left side seems to be hot, and once the bike stalls it doesn't turn on for a while. The bike also struggles WOT.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by mdiaz2685 View Post
    Lunaticfringe,

Prior to shutting off the bike start sputtering, the left side seems to be hot, and once the bike stalls it doesn't turn on for a while. The bike also struggles WOT.
    check that the tank main vent tube is not obstructed or pinched. it runs from the top right corner of tank where it attaches to vent fitting over top of the airbox inner cover, down left side of same, and terminates down near the fuel pump to atmosphere. check it. check the fuel pump connector and ground wire. in addition to what you mentioned i've found that these pumps on the way to death-row do the following: after sitting for several days or longer and going into start mode they'll emit a high pitched whine for a few seconds....bogging in upper gears when rolling on throttle....bogging when coming out of turn in a higher gear and rolling on throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    check that the tank main vent tube is not obstructed or pinched. it runs from the top right corner of tank where it attaches to vent fitting over top of the airbox inner cover, down left side of same, and terminates down near the fuel pump to atmosphere. check it. check the fuel pump connector and ground wire. in addition to what you mentioned i've found that these pumps on the way to death-row do the following: after sitting for several days or longer and going into start mode they'll emit a high pitched whine for a few seconds....bogging in upper gears when rolling on throttle....bogging when coming out of turn in a higher gear and rolling on throttle.
    Thank you, Lunaticfringe. Your reference on the high pitched whine is what I am also experiencing in a higher gear. The other threads mentioned that removal of the fuel can be done without removing the swing arm. Have you had the pleasure of removing the fuel pump?
    Last edited by mdiaz2685; 04-04-2016 at 10:16 PM.

Its pretty easy, theres a drain plug in the fuel pump base plate (left bottom of frame/tank). You can mold a funnel from tin foil to keep things clean.

You'll need to support the bike from the bottom, ahead of the swing arm, because you will be disconnecting the bottom of the rear shock to let the swing arm hang down. That will give you enough clearance (barely) to remove the pump. Try blue tape on the swing arm to stop any scrapes you might get.