Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HID/Xenon install Lightning

HOW TO: HID/Xenon install Lightning

Hi All,

This will be my fist post on the forum, and I want to tell you how I will be doing Xenon installation with projectors. But first, let me introduce myself.
    I’m Marcel and I live in the Netherlands. I wanted to have a Buell for my entire life, but never had the budget. I drove a Ducati Monster M900 for 5 years, but then the budget was there! So last Saturday I picked up my Buell XB9S from 2004! I’m the second owner, and the Buell the former owner had all the papers for everything he bought for the bike. Also, for every service he went to TwinMotorcycles so I’m confident that I will have a lot of joy with this bike.
    IMG_6579.jpgIMG_6582.jpgIMG_6583.jpg

But as with every bike, the first thing I want to do is installing xenon. I’ve been reading a lot on this forum, but every write up, made it very complex or was not to my liking.
    This is what I want:

- Xenon Projectors, because of the look and the fact that you won’t blind someone
    - Both headlights on at all time (Both will do Low beam or both will do Hi Beam)
    - The flash button must work
    - The ability to turn off the lights with the standard switches on the bike

Here in the Netherlands, we barely drive with High beam on, but we do use the flash (to pass, or because you’re mad at someone or any other reason). This gave me an idea. I’ve made the following diagram to help myself and to share.
    HID.jpg

As you can see, the xenon will only be powered when the Low Beam is on. The High Beam will only switch the Projectors to High Beam, but will not lit the bulbs. This will make sure I can switch of the xenon by switching to High Beam, but still gives me the possibility (when driving with Low Beam) to flash. So I don’t need a timer relay to start the bike and save my xenon, I just need to switch to High Beam, start the bike and then put it back to Low Beam.

Because the total power of the xenon is 70watts (2x 35 watt) I wanted to have a relay to safely use them both. I ordered a H7 xenon harness for a car which I will alter to the size of the bike. (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Unive...411873608.html) This harness has everything you need in 1 neat pile of cables. It’s fitted for a normal sized car, but with some soldering I can make it work perfectly for the Buell.

Via Ebay bought a second hand Headlight assembly, so I can drive the bike while I work on the headlight, and to make sure I can always go back to stock. Because all of the connections are made in the headlight assembly, I won’t have to cut any of the original wires of cut off any connectors. So If I want to go back to stock, It can be done within 30 min.

But I do need your help. What is the best route/way to get a cable from the battery to the flyscreen? Does anybody a good and secure way? Preferably with pictures.

The parts need to come in, so when they do, I will post it here.
    Last edited by marcel; 05-02-2016 at 07:50 AM.

All parts are ordered, and should arrive within a month. Photo's will follow when the parts are in. In the meantime I thought of another idea, and that is to also install angel eyes in the headlight which will function as a DRL. Therefor the diagram is a bit altered.
    HID.jpg
    The bluebox (alarmlicht) is an extra module which will flash both my indicators and High beam, when I drive the bike trough a traffic jam. If you put your indicator on to the right and within 1,5 seconds to the left and keep it there, the module will start working. When you cancel the indicator the module will also stop. This means no extra buttons on the bike but a bit more safety.

Photo's will follow when the parts are in.
    Last edited by marcel; 05-13-2016 at 07:13 AM.

Update: The Xenon harnas came in.
    This is normally used in cars, so that why the positive is relatively short, and the cable for the second ballast is relatively long.
    Schermafbeelding 2016-04-20 om 22.20.53.jpg

I therfore swapped the cables. Now the positive (from the battery) is now much longer and the cable to the ballast is much shorter.
    Updates will follow.
    Last edited by marcel; 04-21-2016 at 09:38 AM.

What are you using for the projector?

I'm going to use these: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/13A-C...289649357.html

Capture1.jpg Capture2.jpgCapture3.jpg

I will not connect the angel eyes from the projector, because i'm going to use these: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Doubl...355432593.html
    I'm in doubt if I'm going to paint the shrouds and reflectors in black. I will make up my mind when everything is in.
    Last edited by marcel; 05-02-2016 at 09:08 AM.

Not sure if I missed this part or not.. Are you planning to retrofit them in the stock reflector housings?

Correct. I have ordered a spare stock reflector housing which I can cut up any way I like. When finished, the light will basically look stock, but has dual bi-xenon and dual colored angel eyes (for DRL and indicators)

Does that projector have a low and high been? Doesn't seem like it from the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by marcel View Post
    Correct. I have ordered a spare stock reflector housing which I can cut up any way I like. When finished, the light will basically look stock, but has dual bi-xenon and dual colored angel eyes (for DRL and indicators)
    Is there enough room inside the OEM reflector housing to fit it? How do you plan to seal the rear of it?

@AZmidget91 the projecotrs have high and low, so in the end I will have dual high beam and dual low beam.

@infinitereality, The pojectors are the smallest I could find, and in theory, they should fit. It will not be as easy as a car headlight though. I use high temp kit to seal everything when done. I've used this multiple times with retrofitting xenon projectors in car headlights, and it works great.

I will photograph all the step to make a how to.

Last edited by marcel; 05-02-2016 at 11:07 AM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast