Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HID/Xenon install Lightning

Awesome, I'm looking forward to seeing the retrofit!

Today the angel eye's came in, but the projectors are stuck in customs..... Hopefully I will have them soon, because I can't wait to start retrofitting!

Ok, the fun stuff begins!
    To make sure I have all the time and no stress, I bought a second hand headlight unit online. Because this one was in a less good state, I swapped the units. So right now my bike runs with the second hand unit, and I will alter the original one.
    (btw, my new indicators also found their way to my home!)
    IMG_6703.jpgIMG_6704.jpgIMG_6705.jpg

also, please use this "guide" at your own risk. If you not know what you're doing, please do not start with this guide

Let me start by saying you won't have to bake your headlight. I used my heatgun to make the glue go soft
    IMG_6707.jpg

So first I made sure the headlight unit was secured at a piece of my desk, so it would be easier to handle it.

IMG_6706.jpg

After that, I choose a starting point and started heating it up. Do not point the heat to long at the same spot, but make it evenly hot.
    When you've done this for 1 minute, you can start with a screwdriver to pull up the nodge, that holds the lens in place.
    Than you can work your way round the unit and you will end up with this.

IMG_6708.jpg

when the reflector is of the housing, you will notice that the reflector and lens are still 1 piece. This can be separated with a small screwdriver, between the silver notch and the lens.

IMG_6709.jpg

At that point, the reflector and lens become separate.
    Tot make the angel fit, and have a nicely spread light output, I used lampshades.

IMG_6710.jpg

It will look like this in on the lens.

IMG_6711.jpgIMG_6712.jpgIMG_6713.jpg

to make sure the shades are in the middle, I used some wooden pins found in the kitchen.

IMG_6714.jpg

I could then glue them in to their new place.

IMG_6715.jpg

And now that they are in place, I can lite them up!!!

DRL

IMG_6716.jpg

Indicator on to the left:

IMG_6717.jpg

Indicator on to the right:

IMG_6718.jpg

I couldn't get them perfect on the photo, but in reality they are super bright and the output is nicely spread. There is a real small electronic board in the wires which turns off the white and turns on the orange/yellow. When you turn off the indicator, 1 second later the white leds turn on again.

The projectors are now through customs and I can pick them up on Monday. I will try to start installing them in the upcoming days.
    Let me know what you think!
    Last edited by marcel; 04-30-2016 at 07:55 PM.

Man, looks like you have a great head start. I really like the idea to zip tie the housing to the vise, should be it alot easier like you said. Also dig the halo mounting, never seen that done but makes perfect sense in this retrofit.

Looking forward to progress pictures over the next week.

yep, the zip tie to the vise really made a difference. as a bonus you can also turn the housing upside down (by spinning the handle) so you can reach the bottom side

for now I have 1 learning point. I ordered these rings http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Doubl...355432593.html in 94mm (3.7 inch). I think it would be possible to install the 99mm (3.897 inch). I already had the 94mm rings, so I installed them, but maybe, in the future I will swapp the rings and shades, but I will see how this "project" goes.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast