Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: HID/Xenon install Lightning

Ya. Just drill and tap the mounting bracket, it's easy and thin. That way theres no unsightly extra holes or bolts in the screen.

Just equal distant to the existing holes is about perfect. The top of the windscreen is just at the gauges, and it's not too low over the lights Mark the holes first using the windscreen and you'll see you are close to the edge on the bottom holes so be careful, or raise it up a hair. Also note that the bolts are going in at an angle, but parallel to the mounting surface.

Alternatively , you can do the same trick with an extended screen and just cut it to the height you like after its lowered.

You get bonus points for installing nut-serts instead of tapping the hole. It's a bit nicer but needs a special tool.

Duct tape and bubble gum would work too but his idea would definitely be nicer

Thanks Cooter!!! This will help me on my way and it is exactly the height I was aiming for. Although I like the look of using the bottom hole for the top hole of the windscreen, the totally exposed gauges didn't seem right to me. What you are descriping seems perfect! I would love to have those bonus points but have actually never seen this tool/way of working!
    And if all else fails, I will try the method of Gronx

Even Harbor Freight has a cheap version of the tool that comes with the nut-serts (also called rivet-nuts). It's priceless for bolting stuff to sheet metal.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/45-piec...-kit-1210.html

That's cheap Cooter. I've seen some youtube video's about the tool and it looks awesome!! Unfortunately Harbor Freight does not send it overseas to the Netherlands. I will see if this tool is also cheap around here!

I need one of those too.

Retrofit is looking good!

Yesterday I did a small update on the project. I've made the wiring harnas from the headlight to the bike. (picture will follow). I did this with a 6 way waterproof connector and already made some connections for the "alarmlicht module" (The bluebox in the picture is an extra module which will flash both my indicators and High beam, when I drive the bike trough a traffic jam.) and from the parking light I took power for my navigation.
    This way, I will have a strong connection from headlight to bike, and still I can detach the headlight assembly.
    Below is the self made diagram which I followed.

+ and ground from low beam (which will trigger the relay which operates the ballasts)
    + parking light. Power for navigation and for the "alarmlicht module" (blue box)
    + for indicator left. To power the indicator ring left
    + for indicator right. To power the indicator ring right.
    + high beam. The "alarmlicht module" (blue box) can operate high beam when driving trough a traffic jam.

(of course this is not my bike )

HID Wiring.jpg

Hopefully I have some time this weekend to install it all on the bike. I still need to figure out how I can get a wire from the battery to the windscreen in a good manner. anyone have tips/tricks for this? Would be great to get a photo of the best way.
    Last edited by marcel; 05-13-2016 at 07:13 AM.

So this is the end result for now. Everything is fits nicely and the projectors don't touch the lens of the housing.
    Hopefully I have some time on Monday to install them on the bike!

IMG_6764.jpg

That looks really good!! Hopefully the install and wiring goes smoothly.

I dig the shrouds even more now, looks awesome inside the housings. Can't wait for output pictures and thoughts!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast