Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: HID/Xenon install Lightning

So I found an hour to spend on the bike, so first I tried to get the wire from the battery to the flyscreen. To get this done, I removed the airbox and the air filter. Then I removed the plate under the air filter and this gave me some rome to get the wire from front to back (on the left side of the bike, along with the main wire bundle).
    Then I moved my attention to the front. OH MY GOD..... there is NO room
    So the first thing, I did was relocate the horn. Without this (in my opinion) it's not possible to get 2 ballast in the flyscreen!

and then my hour was up, and my son was awake again

So hopefully I will have more time tomorrow, and then I will also make some photo's!

Keep you updated!

Succes!!!!!!!! everything works as it should! I made a small video, to show what it does!

1) Turn on ignition (headlight switch is on high beam) -> The angel eyes are lit
    2) Turn signal left
    3) Turn signal right
    4) Switch to low beam -> both xenons start up
    5) flash to pass -> both xenons will give high beam (you can just see it, because of the way I filmed it)
    6) hazard lights + High beam -> when I have the turn signal to the left and within 1 second to the right the hazard lights will come. This means all the indicators, plus the high beam will flash. You can just see it in my video, but believe me, it works!

Good job. Looks great!!! I thought for a second there that the bike had some sort of bird sound associated with the lights.

Hahaha that's my special horn! but thanks! I'm very happy with the results!

Speaking about horns, I had to relocate mine in order to get some room behind the flyscreen. I removed the horn and holder. This makes all the difference. With the created space you can install 2 ballasts.
    I've forgotten to take a photo of the relocation, but will make this in the upcomming day.

Just a small recap after 1 day.
    Would I do it the same if I could do it all over.
    In short, no.
    I’m very happy with the results, but I would make some changes.

1) The shades for the angel eyes. If you look at them closely, they look a bit cheap. If I would do it again, I would order a slightly bigger pair of angel eyes (99mm instead of 94mm), and glue them to the lens of the headlight housing. This way the look would be more uniform, and the rings would be bigger so they fit better in combination with the fly screen.
    2) Paint it back! To give it an angrier look, I would paint the shrouds and the reflector black. The contrast between the angel eyes and the projectors would be better.

Opening the housing again shouldn’t be a problem, and the hot glue I used for the rings, can be removed with a little bit of force. Painting the shrouds, and reflectors can be done in this stage (however, it’s a bit more difficult because I can’t remove the projectors anymore). So who knows, maybe I will do this.

So at the end I’m very happy with the results, and there is some room to improve. I hope you liked this how to, and If you have questions, please let me know.

Any updates Marcel? You beat me to this idea, it was my plan since I bought mine in 2014. Execution was great, my plan was to use the Morimoto Matchbox mini's they are of a similar size as the projectors you used as well as another member years ago. Interested in output shots/videos at night (camera settings if you could would be awesome). Good work!

Thanks
    Well, the second headlight unit is in, and I expect the new projectors to be in any day now. I've looked at the Morimoto's but in my opinion, there is not enough room. They are 13 mm longer, and the bulbs will add another 20mm. I think the light output would be beter than the once I use. I will do my best to make a photo, but I'm afraid that I can't give info about camera settings, but I will do my best.

There are a couple of changes I will do.
    1- paint the reflector and shroud black
    2- No lampshades on the angel eyes
    3- Bigger angel eyes (diameter)
    4- Angle eyes will be deeper into the housing (more OEM look)

I also ordered 2 sets of led rings. 1 with indicator function, 1 without. I think that the rings without indicator function will be brighter. If that's the case, I will probably use those.
    If I like it, the first headlight will go to ebay.

@flatout, the projectors came in and here is an update! Just waiting for the angel eyes. I decided to get the normal angel eyes instead of the dual colored once. This, because the normal once are brighter. I like them much better in black!!!

IMG_6943.jpgIMG_6944.jpg

@flatout, the Headlight is done! I really the new setup. It looks more OEM and I've added a switch to my handlebars, so I now have: Angel eyes only, Angel eyes and Low beam, Angel eyes and High beam.
    I've made 2 (so I had some room for error) but both turned up great! So 1 will be for sale
    IMG_7042.jpgIMG_7041.jpgIMG_7044.jpgAttachment 489613669665_1047897005288600_3117798513571891580_n.jpg

Last edited by marcel; 07-21-2016 at 12:08 PM.

That black setup looks awesome, great job! Gotta have that!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast