Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain Conversion, new question

Chain Conversion, new question

Hey guys, I believe this has all been covered before but I can't seem to find one thing out. I'm switching my 08 XB12R over to chain because I'm sick of breaking belts. I've got my rear sprocket from PMP, my front sprocket from Pbi, but I'm lost as to where to get an idler sprocket. I've looked at LAP's website and they have an EBR leftover part no.GO600.07AH. Does anyone know if this is the part I'm looking for? Everything is 520 sized. If not any suggestions?

Thanks, Wayne

Tensioner: Top hole was slotted and set screw (1/4-20) with lock nut was added in the direction of the slot. Sprocket is a glass reinforced nylon sprocket from Grainger (3ZP38). comes with a bushing that has to be removed and then fits the aluminum bushings from the oem pully.
    Chain: DID 530VXGB I think I used 116 links?
    Sprockets: Front is a 19 tooth 530 steel sprocket. Needed a .1875 steel spacer behind it to be in line with the rear sprocket. Rear is a 49 tooth vortex sprocket. If I remember correctly, stock gearing would put you at a 49:20. I powder coated both because I didnt like the silver. Front sprocket cover just barely fit with only a notch removed for the tensioner screw. I dont think a 20 tooth sprocket would have fit.

Last edited by AZmidget91; 04-06-2016 at 11:06 PM.

AZ- you come up with that little kit on your own? Or is that all cut and paste work from another thread?
    I'm curious to know what life on an XB with a chain is like.
    Pros
    Cons

BTW my bike has over 44k and I've only broken two belts. One snapped at about 20k and the other snapped around 37k. I'm sure this was preventable. 1) I don't run belt guards. 2) I wasn't inspecting my belts like I should have been during regular maintainamce.

Question(and I'm sure this one has a ton of variables) what is the average chain life? Under normal riding conditions. Cause that's how we all ride, of course!

Wow, that was quick! AZ do think you could go into a LITTLE more detail? lol, you've been a great help. Grainger Canada has that part in stock for $39 Canadian. I've got a 51/520 tooth rear as well as a 21/520 tooth front. Going by what I've read on here and on BadWeb that's what others are using. If I have to fab a front cover well so be it. Did you get your front from Pbi. as well?

Again thanks, Wayne

Sorry, not my setup, it's copy and pasted from a guy selling his bike on the buell Facebook group, not the Buellxb.com group. I'll see if I can link to it...

He posted it for sale here too, but here is his Craigslist ad

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...522543304.html

That is exactly how I did mine. The slotted hole in the tensioner wouldn't hold adjustment, so I tapped the bracket for a 3/8-16 set screw and locknut. Worked perfectly.

You'll need to make a different front cover, the 19 front sprocket barely clears the chain OD around the sprocket. I'm sure the 21 won't fit. You just need something that your laces or pant leg won't get sucked into I don't know if that fancy billet cover they sell clears it?

I think the front pulley is from PBI, but I didn't need to space anything. I do know there are different off-sets available, so check it for sure!

It's louder, and get used to cleaning chain grease again But other than that, I noticed a definite power change. I couldn't say more power, but it gets to the back wheel faster. Immediate throttle response. I could see how it's beneficial on a race bike, and wheelies get real easy

Sorry Chicken, I couldn't comment on lifespan. I sold it after only 6K on the chain and it was in good shape then. I imagine the V-twin torque doesn't help.

Don't hold me to this list, but here is what I have put together in my research... I have not bought any of this and not 100% sure it is correct...

.........Store........Brand.........Part Number.Price
    Idler...Grainger.....Grainger......3ZP38.........2 3.8
    Chain.Amazon......DID............530VXGB.....126.6 6
    Rear..Amazon......Vortex........827AK-49.....60
    Front.Amazon......V-twin........19-0446......29.62
    .................................................T otal 240.08
    Last edited by AZmidget91; 04-07-2016 at 03:16 PM.

Grainger idler sprocket will only work with a 530 chain. If you are running a 520, you will have to modify the idler sprocket to make it thinner. No commercially available 520 idler sprockets available.

I don't understand why you were snapping belts. Your tension must have been wrong. I'm so glad I have belt drive. My SX spits chain grease everywhere which can only be washed off with degreaser, and the drive lash from the chain is not pleasant IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast