Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Erik Buell Race ECM - Y0162.08AH - Help Please!

Erik Buell Race ECM - Y0162.08AH - Help Please!

Hi Everyone,

I bought a 2007 XB9S last summer and would like to do some performance modifications. I purchased a K&N filter and would like to get an exhaust, but I have read that I need to either map my ECM or buy an EBR race ecm. I saw that Liquid Asset Partners are liquidating the EBR racing inventory and they have an 05-07 XB9 race ECM with part # Y0162.08AH. It says "programmed for Buell race exhaust", but I will likely get Drummer or D&D exhaust. Will this ECM work or should I look into mapping my existing ECM? If I buy and install the EBR ECM, will it require me to zero the TPS?

I would hate to buy this ECM for $300 and have issues. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I am new to the Buell community and appreciate your help.

Thank you in advance for dropping some knowledge.

Inactive
    the ecm gurus will be chiming in shortly. i am not one of them but i can tell you what has traditionally worked nicely for me in the 2003-2007 year range of XB's: an installed race map. by that i mean your xb9 with a drummer or hawkins muffler and a race map flash to your stock ecm using ecmspy for example gets the mapping in the ballpark. your stock 2007 with the addition of a K&N and a custom muffler will be horribly "lean" with all the irritations that come with it. a simple race-map flash onto your stock ecm works nicely. have done probably 15 or more now and always satisfied. an added bonus is that it's free.

I say do what lunatic said or if you can find the correct ECM you can do that too, as long as it is the correct tune. The "you don't need a specific tune, you can run any tune" guys will chime in shortly...
    Last edited by GregoXB; 04-08-2016 at 10:39 AM.

I vote for a correct map for your muffler from Xoptiinside.com it's $99 and piece of mind that it is for that exact muffler. You can buy a cable from the same website, or I sell Bluetooth dongles. Not to mention, if you go this route, you now have a cable, or dongle and can check trouble codes, tps reset, and other diagnostics.

Check out idspd.com and talk to Tim, they make the ecm for Buell and EBR, If you want a "plug n play" race ecm, it should match your air filter and exhaust, a lot of guys on here use ECMSPY for 03-07 bikes, and I believe its free, but you have to know how to use it, I have a 09 so my bike is different.

So to re-cap... 4 options:

1) $300 for an ECM that comes with the "race program" for your pipe. You'll still have your stock ECM, to put back on with a stock pipe, as a back-up, whatever.

2) $100 to have someone else install an existing "race program" on your ECM. They are responsible for the correct program, and reputations vary.

3) $50-ish for everything you need to learn how to install an existing "race program", or even build a program yourself, TPS re-set, diagnose, unlimited times, for yourself and for friends. You are responsible for doing it correctly.

4) $500-$1000+ for legitimate tuning. Legitimate tuning means a competent tuner will need your motorcycle, A dyno, wideband 02 sensor array, road tests, track tests, and a whole bunch of time. That's how you have your bike tuned.

Once you take that program (#4) and put it in a different bike, it is now a "race program" on that bike. That bike is not tuned.

Lots of great options for us Buellers!

It's just semantics, but I edited for clarity.
    Last edited by Cooter; 04-09-2016 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Clarity

That post needs to be a sticky....

You forgot options
    5) Run the OEM ECM regardless of pipe.
    6) Install any random ECM you have

A lot of buellers go for those options ...

Using the free EcmDroid app and a dongle (I sell them too so this will stir the pot) you can install the race mapping on your ECM using an android device which you will probably be happy with. If you want to dial the mapping in for your bike use some of the money you saved by not buying an ECM on dyno or remote tuning. The latter of which is very effective and can be done by Xopti as well. This way you have a truly custom tune. No ECM or pre-made mapping you buy/download is going to be custom for your bike in your area with you riding it. It could be suitable, but it's not custom.

I would go with the person who has doing this longer and experience with HD, Buell, and EBR, Tim at IDS. He backs all the Ecms he sells and he know what the Ecms firmware. Most of the tuners out there are re- mapping you're Ecm and you have know idea what firmware you have and what firmware your tuning too or what firmware the tuner is made for. I went with the fully tunable race Ecms from IDS, after a few hours on the dyno run like a charm. Spen the money once and you won't be beating you head against the hall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast