Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buell XB starter problems

Banned

Buell XB starter problems

Hello! I have 2009 Buell XB 12 Scg with 13000 easy miles.

It looks like my starter is broken.

When I push ignition button starter makes buzzing sound and does not crank the engine, only after a few seconds it can start crank the engine. For me it looks like there is not enough friction force somewhere in the starter mechanism so the starter electric motor rotates but it slides and does not crank the engine properly. This issue occurred a few weeks ago and now the starter behaves even worst. It does not matter if the engine is hot or cold, it has the same issue at any condition.

I was thinking this is bad battery, so I bought new battery Big Crank ETX14 from Battery Mart through the Amazon. An with the fresh battery starter does the same.

Here are some videos,not mine, but it sounds and looks very close:

http://s1260.photobucket.com/user/mo...Movie.mp4.html

Is there any suggestions?

Does Buell XB started have overrunning clutch? Can it go bad?

Buell service manual troubleshooting section says: "Starter Motor Does Not Operate or Does Not Turn Engine Over. Electric starter shaft pinion gear not engaging or overrunning clutch slipping."

Is there any starter overrunning clutch rebuild kit or I need to buy new starter?

Thanks.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 04-16-2016 at 09:23 PM.

The gear on the starter does have a clutch in it. It is sometimes referred to as a "starter drive clutch", or "over run clutch". Its function is like a one way clutch. The starter solenoid pushes out the drive gear when you hit the starter button. When it is fully extended an internal switch closes and your starter begins to spin. The starter drive clutch is meant to grab in one direction to crank your engine, then freewheel when the engine starts and the engines RPM runs faster than the starters RPM. Hence the name over run clutch. It freewheels the starter gear on the shaft until you release the starter button which causes the solenoid to pull the gear back in and away from the clutch ring gear. From the video, that seems to be the problem there. I assume you checked all the basics, battery voltage and grounds.

That part should be replaceable.

I'd pull your primary cover and take a look see. If it behaves just lime the video, the starter drive clutch needs replaced.

I agree with Mr. 900. If it's like the video, replace the over run clutch.

However, I'm concerned you say "buzzing sound" if you remove the primary and try to crank it, notice when the pinion engages and stops. Is the starter stalled or spinning?

If it is spinning (like above) it's the over run clutch for sure. If it is stalled, you need a whole starter.

Banned
    Is it possible to rebuild the overrunning clutch without replacing the overrunning clutch fully?

Last edited by TPEHAK; 04-17-2016 at 08:35 AM.

With full access to a machine shop and materials, sure.

But I'd just buy one.

Try one of the guys here that parts out bikes? They rarely go bad, so a used one is a good option.

Banned
    Thank you for the suggestions.

Today I connected the motorcycle to the car battery and the motorcycle does the same. So this is not the motorcycle battery issue. I captured a video, so you can see the issue and hear the sound

I ordered a set of gaskets for primary cover and new 1.4 kW starter on amazon http://www.amazon.com/STARTER-FIREBO...ilpage_o02_s00
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 04-17-2016 at 07:27 PM.

Banned
    Today I opened the primary cover, here is what I saw

Looks exactly like the first video. Time for an overrun clutch.

Banned
    Today I've got the new 1.4 kW starter, it looks very similar to the old one.

Banned
    The new 1.4 kW starter has been installed. The starter starts the engine instantly. No any issues with overrunning clutch anymore. Way better than the stock 1 kW starter

Done!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast