Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buell XB starter problems

Banned
    I installed the original Buell starter back with new All Balls starter clutch, but I feel it will leak as bad as the Rare Electrical starter because of the All Balls clutch does not have seal for the shaft.

I striped the starter covers with aircraft remover

Masked the holes and surfaces

Painted with wrinkle black paint

Then installed the new clutch, packet the grease and assembled the starter

Banned
    Do not buy Rare Electrical starter because it does not have oil seals for the clutch. Here is the motorcycle after a few hours ride, oil is everywhere, on the muffler, under the starter compartment, even on the rear tire

I removed the Rare Electrical starter and open the starter case and here is what I found. It looks like oil leaked from the gap between the front starter cover and the main body

The starter is full of primary oil inside. The surfaces between the cover and the main body are not machined, they just have as casted finish, so oil just goes out the starter with no resistance

There is no any o-ring seal or even groove for o-ring between the cover and the clutch bearing, oil just leak trough the gaps once engine heat build temperature and pressure in the primary cavity.

No any seal on the shaft

I installed the original Buell starter back with new clutch, I will see if is going to leak. The only place when the Buell starter can leak is the shaft because the new clutch does not have seal. But the Rare Electrical starter leaked everywhere including the area around the clutch bearing because it does not have O-ring. I have feeling that I will need to buy original Buell clutch with seal or just new Buell starter to replace the starter again. I hate to dig into the primary again and again

Do not buy any starter or starter clutch except original Buell starter or Buell clutch or if you are sure that the starter or clutch you are going to buy has all seals (starter cover should have o-ring around clutch bearing, clutch should have sealed clutch bearing itself, clutch should have seal inside the clutch tube for starter output shaft).
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 07-30-2016 at 05:33 PM.

Hey TPEHAK, just another update for ya. I've got another 4000 miles after I replaced the starter clutch with the HD number you have ($114). Works perfectly fine.
    I'd like to reiterate the easy test will let you know if the clutch will leak. Just snap the starter clutch into the front starter housing and pour an ounce of oil on the pinion gear. You'll know right away if it's sealed or not... saving you the reinstall and mess later.

Thanks so much for posting, you certainly saved me! Sorry you're having issues with all this aftermarket stuff

Banned
    Update. The motorcycle passed 1000 miles with All Balls Starter clutch H-D#31663-90 in the original starter, no oil leaks!

That's great to hear, and thanks for all the details in the write up of your starter drama.

Banned
    Update. Already 7000 miles on the All Balls starter clutch unit. No oil leakages, no slipping, works very well.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 10-27-2017 at 01:22 AM.

I read previous posts about upgrading to the 1.4kw high torque starter. But there were several complaints about oil leaks. I called Rare Electrical,, and they have improved their starters with an O-Ring at the front bearing to prevent the leak. They sent me a pic of the update. I will also post this on one of the other starter threads.

Rare Electrical starter.png

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    Update. The motorcycle passed 1000 miles with All Balls Starter clutch H-D#31663-90 in the original starter, no oil leaks!
    so... now that time has passed and I have this issue... what do you sugest for me... mines a 09 XB12R

ohh and hey... whats involved with replacing this part... like is it an engine out or just drop fward... kinda hopping it can be done in place? cheers

Read the thread, all the options are there. The choice is yours.

You can get the step-by-step starter removal instructions from the free manual download at Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com. You don't need to rotate the engine, but you do need to pull the primary. No need to remove the clutch basket to get at the one 1/2 hidden bolt, take out the easy one first, then cheat the second one with a ball-ended allen. Starter comes right out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast