Thread: Rattling clutch lever

Rattling clutch lever

My recent 2007 XB12Ss purchase is doing well...however the clutch lever rattles something fierce at certain RPM levels. Any fixes for this? Lever has a lot of up and down slop in the pivot. Probably from rattling all these years!

If you take off the 10mm lock nut and unscrew the pivot bolt, is the oilite bushing in the lever worn? The bushing be replaced, but I doubt its worth it. Just get new levers.

I have some good stock black levers if you need them.

Yeah I looked at the bushing...it appears OK. I cleaned it all up and lightly greased everything. Snugged up the bolt/nut. It feels tight enough in the travel arc but seems to have excessive up and down movement. Oh well...leave for now I guess. Might try new levers sometime in the future.

I know this might sound a little crazy but have you thought about using a c-clamp or something similar to squeeze the lever perch to get rid of the slop?
    Your bike may have been in a tip over at one time in its life and the actual lever perch is probably bent just ever so slightly.
    If your levers aren't worn, and the bushing is in good shape, getting new ones won't really fix the problem. That is, if the problem is the clutch perch.
    Just an idea

chickn just one point is the perch cast aluminium? wont it snap if you clamp it? sorry to doubt you mate and i could well be wrong! i put shims in mine, was a PITA to do but worked quite well!

I think if you don't put the kung foo grip on it, it should be ok.
    My next suggestion was going to be shims. Good thinking Tone.
    What type of washers/shims did you use on yours Tone?

^^^ you could well be right on the perch and as for the shims i found some brass ones and got them online from a radio controlled model seller if i remember correctly if not ebay or google should find them hopefully!

I don't think my bike has ever tipped over...no signs anywhere. I like the shim idea...thanks!