Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Code 21? Rough Idle? Never seen that before

Code 21? Rough Idle? Never seen that before

I put the battery back in my 07 XB12s yesterday after having it on the tender all winter to fire up for the first time this year. It started right up, but then died out. Hmmm. Well it hasn't ran in a while, probably just some bugs from sitting for months. So I start it again, this time paying closer attention. I fire it up, then I see I have a CEL. weird. The idle is also jumping between 500-1200 rpms before it dies out again. So then I follow the directions for reading the code that I found on this forum (thanks!) and it gives me code 21: active muffler control. Problem is, I have an open airbox and a drummer muffler that was installed by the previous owner. IT'S NOT EVEN THERE! I've had this bike for three years, and this has never shown up. WHYYY??????

Could just be an anomaly from sitting so long. I'd disconnect the battery for a few minutes, re-connect it then make sure it has a good charge because a battery tender is not a battery charger.

If it happens again, You can configure the CEL for the Active Muffler Control (disable it) by using ECMDroid on an Android device.

If that doesn't fix it, you may have a TPS on its way out. My bike had the idle-sputter-die symptom when I first picked it up. Never threw a CEL and the Harley Dealership spent a month trying to figure it out and couldn't. I found a YouTube clip that someone had posted that had my same symptom and they had a failing TPS that never threw a code. I went to autozone, picked up a new sensor and 30 minutes later the bike ran fine.

Cooter, I have a new Yuasa on standby that I got a year or two ago still sitting in the box. I might as well start there.
    I've been curious of that ECMdroid for a while now, maybe it's time I check that out. I need to get the buelltooth dongle for that, right? Where should I get that from?
    ocgreenmachine, I can get that at Autozone?! sweet! wouldn't hurt to throw one of those on as well. Do you remember the part number for that? or do you know which one I should ask for?

Do a google search of "Buell XB parts cross reference" or something similar and you'll find your part numbers.
    I know this has already been stated but I think your issue is your battery. Make sure your battery is fully charged then try starting the bike.
    Did you treat your gas before you let the bike sit?
    And are you sure your plugs are good?
    Bad gas, weak battery and old plugs are not a good combo for a Buell.
    Try the new battery first then let us know how things go.
    Good luck

ECMDroid only communicates with a Bluetooth dongle not a cable, so yes either Buelltooth.com or AZMidget on here sells them as well.

They are the only 2 places I'd trust right now.

I did swap the plugs. They were pretty black. My local shop didn't have the iridiums, so I just used the regular ngk DCPR8E. No real change tho, the idling didn't get any better or worse. And yeah, good idea to put new gas in there. I'll do that now I just juiced up the new battery, it's charging right now

I have a spy cable I'll let go for $40.
    That includes shipping and everything.
    PM me if you're interested

I've only used the cable with a PC and ECMspy.
    I'm sure other programs like tuner pro and what not will also work.
    I only have experience with ECMspy and the cable. It has worked flawlessly for years.
    I want to get rid of it cause it's not the easiest thing to use when data logging. Or attempting to do so.
    This is mainly because my laptop does not like shaking around in a backpack.

So if you plan on data logging in the future, just make the jump to a dongle and an android device with ecmdriod.
    Last edited by Chicknstripn; 04-17-2016 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j-redd View Post
    Cooter, I have a new Yuasa on standby that I got a year or two ago still sitting in the box. I might as well start there.
    I've been curious of that ECMdroid for a while now, maybe it's time I check that out. I need to get the buelltooth dongle for that, right? Where should I get that from?
    ocgreenmachine, I can get that at Autozone?! sweet! wouldn't hurt to throw one of those on as well. Do you remember the part number for that? or do you know which one I should ask for?
    With my 09' xb12 the TPS was a Duralast TPS4129. For 07' it may be a different part number. In the parts cross reference thread, someone listed the #4129 part number for 07'+ xb's.
    Last edited by ocgreenmachine; 04-17-2016 at 11:24 PM.

chicknstripn, thanks, I already have the ecmspy and cable. I just don't know how to use it. And thanks ocgreenmachine! I hope it's just an issue of having a fresh battery, gas, and plugs so that I don't have to spend the $90 on a new tps, but I think that's the direction I'm headed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast